Hornets

Paulfreebury

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been a bad year for wasps this year no idea why loads of dopey near dead nests. I know its to late but a hornets sting will easily go through a bee suit. Be careful.

Under the bee suit I had a thick pair of jeans and heavy shirt and pullover, on top of that I wore my wool track suit and then the bee suit! Rigger boots and heavy leather gloves all duct taped to the suit.

It was a bit warm in there but I did not like the look of predator's photos!

Father always told me that it was the slash the Hornet made with its sting that was as painful as the poison. He was fascinated to see this damage when the wife of a friend of mine was stung on the head. She was sitting on a large log which I had chainsawed into a seat, and her terrier started to dig into the rotten centre which was the Hornets home. They did not take too kindly to this and flew around squirting venom. The dog was stung several times and she only once which was surprising considering the damage the dog was doing.

Both she and the dog were not badly hurt.

Sad to report that my efforts to move the Hornets have failed and they rejected their new very superior property and presumably flew back to their original nest site a mile away as there were no casualties in the log on inspection.

Yesterday my wife went down to the now Hornet free log cabin and started to take some wood for the wood burner out of a half ton box full of wood that had been sitting outside the cabin for some time. A veritable cloud of Hornets came out of the box and she beat a hasty unstrung retreat.

I sealed up the cab of the Matbro Teleporter and went down in the daytime so I could see what I was doing, gently lifted the box with no bumps but to no avail as a huge cloud of Hornets came out and buzzed about the box very angry.

However they made no attempt to come near the cab so I again gently manoeuvred the box to a small wood not far away. This time I was more confident as I had not actually touched the nest inside the box. But alas the Hornets did not follow and remained buzzing around the cabin.

Later they had started work under the cabin on a new nest and I had to work out some form of deterrent as we have children coming this week.

We have some ant powder which I see contains 0.5% pyrethrum as opposed to the 35% dose in wasp killing formulas.

On the Wikepedia it says that low doses are a deterrent so last night I sprinkled a little around where they were going in.

This morning I hope I have achieved a good result as there were no Hornets at all and not one dead one. So a good experiment for Hornet lovers like me, that they can be deterred without killing them.w

I looked to see if they had found the box in the wood but no.

I hope they have now understood the message that I have no war with them but please not just around the cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

I once lived in an old cottage and hornets moved into the first floor wall cavity between the whether board outside and the wattle n Daub internal wall. At night they would get into the house through a window (attracted by a small light) and in the morning I would collect the hornets wandering around the living room carpet . . . They had to go. One evening, 5 hornets came in and scared me beyond belief.

The fear that the hornets had only to eat their way through the wall and zooop, I am dead in my sleep but worse, my 18 month daughter being stung by a hornet whilst she was playing on the carpet scared me far more.

Council wasn't interested, they wanted a cheque to be posted to them and then cashed and once cleared, would come by and sort the hornets out. A private pest control company did the job in 30 mins. Sad but there you go.

Hornets are great when living in old trees but living in the cavity of your bedroom wall . . . no thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

OK I need some advice.

I've got to fell a large turkey oak covered in weeping black lesions with a big cavity at the base that is threatening a nearby stable block. When I went to look at it there were hornets buzzing around the base of the tree strongly suggesting a nest within the trunk. The tree is in a public park, is considered dangerous and is in an area noted for veteran native oaks so was probably due for removal with or without the cavity.

The tree can be straight felled from the ground, probably with the aid of a winch to be sure to take it away from the stable block, but is there any DIY method for destroying the nest because I don't fancy cutting into it with the saw!!

I thought about getting on site and running a hose from the van's exhaust into the base of the tree and sitting there with the engine running while I have a coffee, or else emptying a few cans of wasp killer into the tree. Failing that what will a pest control company charge to remove the nest?

Sorry if this sounds brutal but the tree has to go and if I'm the one felling it then so do the hornets!!