Does anyone else bother with Poplar for Firewood?

farmer_ben

A friend of mine delivered about 16t of Poplar cord this time last year for nout, I stuck it all to one side and forgot about it as I have plenty of seasoned hardwood in my yard.

I needed to move it this week so instead of moving cord again, i've been ringing it up and splitting it, to be stored in ferras fencing cages. Bloody stuff was still sopping wet, its been down for 2yrs!! Any idea if the now split Pop will be ok for mixed loads this coming winter?

Just be good to know if others on here bother with Poplar for firewood. We've got a huge Poplar that came down last winter on the farm thats all mine if its worth it.

Thanks for the replys :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a good fire wood in a log burner, it does burn quickly, yes it takes a time to dry but once split it goes light quickly ,i find on foggy days it absorbs moisture so keeping it coverd is a must. there is alot of negative spiel about this timber if its free then just mix it in and sell it.

try this website" the poplar tree company" good info on pop

Pop tree co is certainly wood firewood co

Pop will dry and be fine for this year as long as dried in small batches and given loads of air. If no air it will go mouldy and the bark will stay wet and just rot, all will turn black.

I use it, it's good but not great.

Dried a donated batch last summer and burnt the lot over winter with great success but when I collected it you could almost wring the water out. Very light when dry and we went through enough to fill an average sized lounge! Kept me fit moving and splitting it and rotating through my log piles mind you.

Dried a donated batch last summer and burnt the lot over winter with great success but when I collected it you could almost wring the water out. Very light when dry and we went through enough to fill an average sized lounge! Kept me fit moving and splitting it and rotating through my log piles mind you.

How do different poplars burn is there different charactieristics between say Manchester Pop and white / silver Pop?