Cutting and holding!

Mozza

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've witnessed the cut and chuck method done safely and done with utter cringworthy madness!

I use the saw one handed but make sure my work position is strong.

When I was new to Arb I also used to judge everyone for their apparent dangerous methods but now I use the same methods. 12 yrs never an accident- yet:ohmy:

You know I am, they will wast to much time trying to justife the risk in the heads, waking up screaming... or if they don't then Darwin's theory recons on upping the states count.

We all justify the things we do "35 in a 30 zone wont do any harm" etc but i dont lose any sleep about it :thumbup1:

:scared1::scared1:

It was 8+ years ago.

3 cuts to left hand 1 to left leg.

2 required micro surgery the others required a big plaster :001_smile:

Getting hit with a saw is like being booted with a pair of steely's.

we'll have to disagree on this one alex, personally i cant think of anything less professional than running down your competitors to the client.....when im talking to a client all i want them focussed on is what I can do for them

Not say run the compertion down here. Just tell the cusmore the difference from a profical and a none proficale.... it all why hire an arborist stuff steve. that unprofessional is it? No that educating the public, atchaly doing your direct compition (other pros) a favore as they are morelightly going to shop around.

For example, one of my shortcuts is to drop a big pile of brash at the base of the tree and send the big discs down onto it, far quicker than rigging down. There are shortcut that are safe without being a cowboy.

That what I'm talking about. Never have I said here you must just rig... Rupe said he will useing rigging straight of witch his main control measure for a safe take down. I like rigging but I also employ loads of other methords, like the above, good old chrash matt if space is there. Cut and chuck all the time, but it will be cut cut break chuck or cut finsh with silky chuck. or just god cuts to put the stuff where you want it.

Alex you need to lighten up about the cut and hold thing. I don't klnow how long you have been climbing, but I cut and hold on many/most jobs. I honestly don't think you can be competative if you don't. Anything you cut and hold is going to be too small to bother rigging down, you can do step cuts but sometimes you just need to get on with it and cutting and holding is the easiest and safest way.

You have to be aware.. and the 2 inches in the original post sounds a bit on the close side to me.

Lighten up, sorry just taking an issue seriously, sorry is a chain saw cut into a main arttary and fun chatty issue.

I've been climbing long enough but I know guys out there who have in the trade for 2 year that are operating far safer than your good self from what you are saying. Yes time adds to experance but it can also bread contempt. You are just shorteing the odds. Please don't take this a personal attack but a request to think and try other methords.

Alex. Whatever works for the Arborist at the time. I don't think anyone here wants to do what you are suggesting.

If I am above a greenhouse taking off a dead stick- say Yew- one metre long and 20cm wide I am not going to reach for the silky or the lowering line. Neither am I gonna risk a step cut and snap! Cut and chuck. Safe as houses:001_tongue: