Advice needed on Oak reduction

Danu

Hi,

I’m after some help and after having a look around this forum, this seems like a pretty good place to get some sound advice.

I live in London and our neighbours have applied for a 25% reduction only of an Oak tree (covered by a TPO) at the bottom of their garden as it’s blocking out light. In principle I have no problem with this, but I am worried that the application is too vague – it simply states “25% reduction” and does not mention whether that will be leaf cover, crown, height etc. The tree currently has a wonderful Oak-y shape and is a beautiful feature.

I have no aboriculturist experience but have read several posts here and it seems that there are many different opinions on which method is best for reducing a tree to allow more light through. Also it seems that there are different points of view on whether the customer is the priority or the tree.

As I am assuming that the customer’s priority is more light, my priority is making sure that is combined with treating the tree in the most sustainable way possible.

The main advice I need is:

Should I ask them to clarify the application and state which method of reduction they would anticipate using or would this be too much of a constraint for those working on the tree?

I want to make sure that the tree is dealt with in a sympathetic way ie – that the method/amount of reduction is dependant on what is best for the tree but I do not know how best to phrase this – especially as I do not know what I’m talking about (!) and I will not be dealing with whoever has to cut the tree. I’m worried about someone just lopping away wily-nilly. Should I ask for conditions to the application?

I intent to reply to the application anyway as I have seen bats flying around the tree at night (although I do not know whether they have a roost in the tree itself), which I think might have to be taken into consideration (?).

Any advice or comments are very welcome, thanks.

Hi Danu,

That specification, i.e. 25% reduction, does not comply with the recently updated industry standard BS3998:2010 (Recommendations for Tree Work) as the use of percntages is deemed to be vague and imprecise. SO much so that it is possible the Local PLaning Authority (LPA) may not register the application and require the tree owner to resubmit along the lines of a 1.5m linear reduction in height and a 1.0m linear reduction in spread resulting in a tree with finished dimensions of 20m x 15m, for example.

This is then much clearer and more prescriptive to all involved.

Further there is a general requirement that any pruning, and in particular crown reduction, should not exceed 1/3rd in terms of foliage bearing material to be removed. If it is proposed to do so then a phased approach, ie. over 2 or 3 grwoing seasons with a rest year in between, is recommended.

The bat issue is a potential 'can of worms' in terms of the trees significance but certainly IF it is being used as a roost then very (very) careful consideration should be taken here. (NB This is not a matter for the LPA to act upon nor enforce but they can issue an 'informative' about it regaridng seeking further advice etc. on a consent notice.)

Regards..

Paul

Not that my views are anywhere near as synchronised with current legislated reality as I'd like them to be, but what's it to you?

Their tree. They can do what they want with it.

I'd be pissed if my neighbour thought he could tell me what to do in my garden in exactly the same way I'd be pissed if he objected to a planning application.

Long live classical liberalism and the free market economy!

P.S. I hope you don't feel as though I'm being rude or speaking out of context but it was a good opportunity to make the point.

Hi,

I’m after some help and after having a look around this forum, this seems like a pretty good place to get some sound advice.

I live in London and our neighbours have applied for a 25% reduction only of an Oak tree (covered by a TPO) at the bottom of their garden as it’s blocking out light. In principle I have no problem with this, but I am worried that the application is too vague – it simply states “25% reduction” and does not mention whether that will be leaf cover, crown, height etc. The tree currently has a wonderful Oak-y shape and is a beautiful feature.

I have no aboriculturist experience but have read several posts here and it seems that there are many different opinions on which method is best for reducing a tree to allow more light through. Also it seems that there are different points of view on whether the customer is the priority or the tree.

As I am assuming that the customer’s priority is more light, my priority is making sure that is combined with treating the tree in the most sustainable way possible.

The main advice I need is:

Should I ask them to clarify the application and state which method of reduction they would anticipate using or would this be too much of a constraint for those working on the tree?

I want to make sure that the tree is dealt with in a sympathetic way ie – that the method/amount of reduction is dependant on what is best for the tree but I do not know how best to phrase this – especially as I do not know what I’m talking about (!) and I will not be dealing with whoever has to cut the tree. I’m worried about someone just lopping away wily-nilly. Should I ask for conditions to the application?

I intent to reply to the application anyway as I have seen bats flying around the tree at night (although I do not know whether they have a roost in the tree itself), which I think might have to be taken into consideration (?).

Any advice or comments are very welcome, thanks.

this is all I have read of this thread, that is one of the best enqiuries I have seen to dat, and think you are abso;lutley spot on in all you feel, and more than justified in your fears.

I think judging by your questions etc here youll not have a problem asking the right questions nor in feeling you have a right to ask. A very well worded post:thumbup:

Not that my views are anywhere near as synchronised with current legislated reality as I'd like them to be, but what's it to you?

I'd be pissed if my neighbour thought he could tell me what to do in my garden in exactly the same way I'd be pissed if he objected to a planning application.

P.S. I hope you don't feel as though I'm being rude or speaking out of context but it was a good opportunity to make the point.

dont take any notice of this bloke.:sneaky2:

your bang to rights IMO:thumbup1:

Hi Danu,

Welcome to Arbtalk, its good that a non arb has come here to ask a question like this as the average member of the public would not know what these terms mean.

Please dont take any notice of the coments of AHPP, the only way us arb's are going to move our industry on in the uk is educating the public at large on modern arboricultural best practice and british standards.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Perhaps I come to your area and buy next door to you. Set up a combined Cattle incineration and 24hr car crushing depot. by your kitchen window. Whats it to you?

Planning regs are not perfect. But generally they do help to stop idiots doing idiot things.

Hi Danu and welcome to AT. It's good to know that our posts are read, enjoyed and sometimes even understood by non arby people :biggrin:

I think you are right to show concern for what is happening in your neighbourhood in general and to the imminent plans for your next door's tree in particular.

BUT, have you actually spoken to your neighbour about this? There may be a whole lot going on that you are not aware of, for instance, tree related property subsidence or extensive decay has been found in the tree on inspection. Or they may simply have been given innapropriate advice about how to prune their tree.

My point is that until you know the full background details, you aren't really in a positon to complain. Yes the work spec' needs to be clarified as to the amounts to be removed, but that doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

Perhaps I come to your area and buy next door to you. Set up a combined Cattle incineration and 24hr car crushing depot. by your kitchen window. Whats it to you?

Planning regs are not perfect. But generally they do help to stop idiots doing idiot things.

:lol::lol::lol: