Butt pollarding Oak tree

You can remove a large portion of the conjecture here by examining the buttress roots and root crown....slow or fast the decay Ganoderma. sp produce is not all that hard to locate and evaluate once you do a little digging.

But does anyone involved want to do the work to investigate? is this because they dont feel they would know what they are looking at when dugout?

and do we REALLY need to dig when the decay is open and obvious? the entire lower root crown is shot failure by shear cracks highly likely, and even minor internal shear cracks will allow the fungi into previously sound volumes.

the root investigation will only tell us something we already know.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright everyone, put your handbags away. Haha!

As the 'tree cutter' I'm putting the trees interests first and presenting my advice to my client, with options. He can then decide how to spend his money.

The advice that's been posted here is great and confirms my own opinions.

As I know this tree, having worked on it twice now, I believe the best course of action in this case is the slow measured approach.

Of course, my client will make the final decision.

Alright everyone, put your handbags away. Haha!

As the 'tree cutter' I'm putting the trees interests first and presenting my advice to my client, with options. He can then decide how to spend his money.

The advice that's been posted here is great and confirms my own opinions.

As I know this tree, having worked on it twice now, I believe the best course of action in this case is the slow measured approach.

Of course, my client will make the final decision.

Thats the idea, give them the best advice and all the options and let them choose the option that they feel most comfortable with:thumbup:

This year I found a ganoderma bracket under the tree

The tree is big (75ft tall, DBH approx 65inches) and slightly one sided, very close to two houses and on a reasonable slope.

The owner is very safety minded, loves the tree and it is a real prominent feature on the landscape.

You've found evidence of a parasitic fungus which is known to cause windthrow.

There are valuable targets within falling distance of the tree.

The client is aware of the safety implications.

Will the client love the tree as much when its had the crown heavily reduced, phased or otherwise?

Will it still be a prominent feature on the landscape?

All very good points scotspine1.

As I have a feeling for my clients awareness of the trees in his garden I know that he'll be very aggrieved at any loss to the size/shape/presence of the tree.

However, due to the hazard presented, he can 'adjust his view' to accept the emotional loss.

Of course the landscape will be changed forever, in my perfect world the houses would be made derelict and an electrified fence would be built 15m all round the tree.

On the other hand, as arboriculturalists, it is up to us to improve the publics awareness of all things tree.

So when a tree like this must be altered so that people can live near it we should be educating our clients with multiple options, whether it's a reduction to force rejuvenation or creating a monolith and deliberately making bat roosts, coronet cuts, bird sanctuaries, stag beetle homes next to the butt, etc etc.

Felling to make a few quid on firewood is unacceptable practice in these types of cases and we must assume this responsibility as we are setting an example to the next generation of 'tree cutters'.

XX.

All very good points scotspine1.

As I have a feeling for my clients awareness of the trees in his garden I know that he'll be very aggrieved at any loss to the size/shape/presence of the tree.

However, due to the hazard presented, he can 'adjust his view' to accept the emotional loss.

Of course the landscape will be changed forever, in my perfect world the houses would be made derelict and an electrified fence would be built 15m all round the tree.

On the other hand, as arboriculturalists, it is up to us to improve the publics awareness of all things tree.

So when a tree like this must be altered so that people can live near it we should be educating our clients with multiple options, whether it's a reduction to force rejuvenation or creating a monolith and deliberately making bat roosts, coronet cuts, bird sanctuaries, stag beetle homes next to the butt, etc etc.

Felling to make a few quid on firewood is unacceptable practice in these types of cases and we must assume this responsibility as we are setting an example to the next generation of 'tree cutters'.

XX.

Apologies for coming in late on this one, I feel that I want to make 2 observations.

1, That The phrase "educating clients" is irritating.

2. Give them all the facts, options etc, but they look to you for guidance,

what they want to know is, Should I take it down? you are the expert.

get off the fence.

Next generation of tree cutters.... What a romantic notion, sorry but if you read Hamas qoute to me he admits that phased reductions often result in tree death, yes pollarding harsh looks awful and yes it could be described as butchery, I for one would not want my truck out side the house so people can say what a butcher ,but from my experience I have only killed seen one oak killed with a pollard and that was down to it being ring barked...your call but it's even sadder to see the tree fo completely even worse if it fails down to your judgement. I will let you in on a secret .... I hated what was done to the oaks that I refered to in my second post infact I only grounded second day because I felt the consultant made a huge mistake in saying do that , the out come now is more favourable.... And I eat my words In calling it butchery!