Temping agency for the arb industry

tristan@arbcore.com

What, so a good climber would turn away his/her own customer to go on to another job just to help someone out, arb must be the only industry that this would happen in, as i say i,ve worked in a few trades and if a colleague needs a hand i would bend over backwards to help them out but not at the cost of my own customers, working relationship or not.

No a good freelancer would see if things could be moved around to help a chap out. Sometimes Mrs Miggins doesn't need her tree felled tomorrow, she doesn't know this but she can be convinced;)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No a good freelancer would see if things could be moved around to help a chap out. Sometimes Mrs Miggins doesn't need her tree felled tomorrow, she doesn't know this but she can be convinced;)

as a freelancer I have to be able to move my own jobs around at short notice, and my clients are made aware of this. if I knock back a call from an arb company I am less likely to be at the top of their list next time.

doesn't matter how good you are, you have to continually be available to prove it.

I was in the building industry before i retrained and got into our industry. I have experienced first hand how the employment agencies ruined the trade for jobbing builders and now seem now to have gone one step further and pretty much source their staff from eastern european countries. Surely, in our industry, which is in comparison, small, agencies are not needed.

I think they did something similar to trucking..and probably every other trade they've got involved with.

:thumbdown:

It it comes to using agency staff in Arboriculture, then industry average rates would have to go up by at least 50% overnight.

Agencies charge a fortune for staff, good or bad..

Having worked with alot of agency staff on utilities contracts I know that I could never use them as the agencies charge too much.

For example, if they pay thier staff £10 an hour, they are charging £15 an hour, and mileage, and travel, and subsistence if they need to stay out, all of which are usual rates with more added on top.

Nobody could afford to use agency climbers in this game and competitive pricing just flew out the window.

A searchable database of bonafide sub-contractors organised by area would be a better idea - but the database should include competencies, insurance coverage, experience, equipment, LOLER compliancy etc

Hi guys,

We're in the process of starting a recruitment and temping agency for the Arb industry. If you're a freelance climber, groundsman, consultant or have any other link to the industry and would like to be on our register please email us: [email protected] Please include all NPTC units and any other qualifications you have along with any other information you'd like us to have. We also need to know whereabouts you are happy to work and what type of driving licence you hold.

Tristan.

Hi Tristan,

Just a quick question. Have you ever been involved in the Agency staffing/Employment/Recruitment industry before?

Cheers

Jonathan

I don't but it is a scenario, it could happen to someone. Lets face it some tree company owners arn't the most organized people and can get out of thier depth.

If the scenario happened to you that the climber wasn't able to work how would you go about sorting it out? I know how I would.

I would get off my backside and get the the trees down even if they were stacked ready to clear up next day when the Nancy boy comes back in :001_smile: