Temping agency for the arb industry

tristan@arbcore.com

Ok, seriously, how many of you would employ agency staff? Have any of you experienced agency staff, from home or abroad? If so, thoughts?

There is only a market if we want a market.

I was in the building industry before i retrained and got into our industry. I have experienced first hand how the employment agencies ruined the trade for jobbing builders and now seem now to have gone one step further and pretty much source their staff from eastern european countries. Surely, in our industry, which is in comparison, small, agencies are not needed.

I'll say it again! All we need is a governed database on a site such as Arbtalk :001_rolleyes:!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you freelance climb and you run a company?

I would hardly call it a company, just a knackered out old transit and chipper. Do my own jobs and freelance to other local companies. Whats the problem with that?

I would hardly call it a company, just a knackered out old transit and chipper. Do my own jobs and freelance to other local companies. Whats the problem with that?

just trying to understand when you would need extra help

I don't but it is a scenario, it could happen to someone. Lets face it some tree company owners arn't the most organized people and can get out of thier depth.

If the scenario happened to you that the climber wasn't able to work how would you go about sorting it out? I know how I would.

I don't but it is a scenario, it could happen to someone. Lets face it some tree company owners arn't the most organized people and can get out of thier depth.

If the scenario happened to you that the climber wasn't able to work how would you go about sorting it out? I know how I would.

how would you?

A quick scenario:

A big job is taking place tomorrow, traffic management in place, hiab/crane booked and months in the planning as on a main road. Climber chips his nail varnish and can't work.

Bugger need another climber quickly. Ring agency and get a climber for the following day, all is good.

Climber turns up and proves to be useless/dangerous. Have to send him away. Job has now gone to poop, how would an agency sort this out?

if you had the scenario that you have described and did'nt have someone to come in and help out the job would go to poop anyway, so whats wrong with giving someone from an agency a chance, i worked in traffic management(motorways) for many years as a foreman and we had no end of agency lads some good some bad, but without them the company i worked for would'nt of been able to take on the jobs that they did.

if you had the scenario that you have described and did'nt have someone to come in and help out the job would go to poop anyway, so whats wrong with giving someone from an agency a chance, i worked in traffic management(motorways) for many years as a foreman and we had no end of agency lads some good some bad, but without them the company i worked for would'nt of been able to take on the jobs that they did.

:001_smile:

how would you?

Fairly simple, ring every climber I know in the area that is capable of doing the job, call in a favour or 2 and get the job done. The last thing I would do is get an unknown climber in, just too risky. This is how everyone I know would do it, no need for an agency in this buisness.

All tree company owners know freelancers in their area and who is good and who is not.

Fairly simple, ring every climber I know in the area that is capable of doing the job, call in a favour or 2 and get the job done. The last thing I would do is get an unknown climber in, just too risky. This is how everyone I know would do it, no need for an agency in this buisness.

All tree company owners know freelancers in their area and who is good and who is not.

Good if you can nice one