Round up Biactive.

Derek Trimblits

i would speek to you agri suplier, as the area that has been planted is probally about 1 to 2 ha. for directed hand aplaction with the rate for forestry grases is 4.0L/ha for all species of trees, I would not worry to about cost of the chemicals, as you higest cost is labor or your time. i would be more woried about driff espicaly if it is hard wood as they are more suptable and hiting them defite the object. i would recomend useing a dye as it would save a lot of hassel and possiblly use a wetting agent.

http://www.teagasc.ie/forestry/docs/technical_info/leaflets/teagascvegetationcontrol2.pdf

the fc also have one

local agri chemical suppliers, mine are about 60% of the prices buying it online, as it has to be couriered so the shipping kills any benefit most the time

also why round up pro B is it a SSSI or wetland site? I have recently be trying using Gallup 360 (very similar to round up pro b 360) as it has aquatic approval for wetlands and also forest approval its about £25 for 5ltrs!

If you're accurate and apply at 4l/ha, you'll use 2.4 l product for 1m sq spots. If you use the stuff charlie suggests at £25/l, the chemical will cost 1p per tree, which would leave you with £240 for the job. Doesn't sound much to me, but of course it all depends on how many you expect to do per day, which in turn depends on the state of the site, how the trees are protected, etc.

Where is the best place for Round up biactive or similar product (Gallup etc).

Got to price up spraying round 6000 newly planted whips, and was reckoning around 5p per tree. That sound reasonable?

Cheers

try greentech, but don't bother with pro biactive. Iv'e sprayed hundreds of thousands of trees and the cheaper alternatives has always worked for me. Use a dye (again available from greentech) That way you don't miss any and if you have any leaks or blue all over you, it's easy to tell. 5p a tree was the going rate about 10 years ago. get an extendable lance on your sprayer as it saves a lot of walking. If your doing it with a cooper pegler, then I don't envy you. One of the most annoying and uncomfortable sprayers Iv'e used. I use solo sprayers. far superier to CP. If the trees are close together then you should be able to do them in a good day. If planted further apart, in small clumps and rough ground then 5p a tree is too cheap

I have been using a product called "asteroid" it has the same glyphosphate content as round up pro but is cheaper. Round up is just a brand name, its the glyphosphate you want!

Anyway, I buy it from country wide farmers, but I think they are a southern (SW) chain only, not sure, check them out.

for doing jobs like that, although i have never done one just lots and lots of spraying i would want to use a nomix controlled droplet aplicator. do the whole lot with one 5 litre pack of concentrate easily (dont qoute me on that) . carry 2nd battery and off you go.

we got one last year at work and its transformed the spraying. i used to need 8 knapsacks to do one circuit of all car park edges so lots of weight in water, lots of time off refilling etc. now a couple of hrs walking and job done - i love it to bits!

Edited by david wood
add a bit

Cheers for all the replies.

i reckon its doable in a day, but still should charge the going rate though so i'll go for 10p per tree and see what the response is.

The site is not SSI but the contract specifics state Biactive should be used, as is dye. The trees are spiral protected 2m apart in rows 2m wide.

As you say though Rupe Roundup is just the brand name -if the chemical used is the same it should not be an issue.

I used to use the CDA sprayers when i worked for the council -might be worth an investigation. Can you add dye to these?

Cheers again.