Firewood Employee

Dave Martin

My son has been helping me as and when needed prior to going to university but the time has come when I seriously need to look to employing someone on a more serious basis over the winter months or maybe even before. They will need to be able to drive a delivery truck and operate splitters and saws. It might be full time or maybe just three days a week. I am based in the midlands, what would you suggest as an hourly rate? How many employees do you have in your Firewood business? AND I am aware that this is when the trouble start :biggrin:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would advise working out what you can afford and start from there. For example if you can afford £10k then you would need to pro rata this down to how many days or hours per week at a given wage.

Sounds like a driving licence, CS30, ability to work unsupervised and common sense is what your after...

Just be prepared to kiss a few frogs but output is pretty easy to measure in our game!

Shouldn't be too hard to find someone. So long as they're responsible and trustworthy the machinery is easy enough to learn.

I've been wondering the same and seen as it's an un-skilled job that needs no qualifications i'd be looking at the basic wage you'd pay a labourer. £80 a day i thought.

Shouldn't be too hard to find someone. So long as they're responsible and trustworthy the machinery is easy enough to learn.

I've been wondering the same and seen as it's an un-skilled job that needs no qualifications i'd be looking at the basic wage you'd pay a labourer. £80 a day i thought.

I have one sometimes two lads that help me in the winter both on £80 per day and i buy lunch

Ill rephrase it, but i dont think its a shady subject to be discussing.

If someone is looking to employ someone in a job involving chainsaw use and the operation of a 10ton hydraulic splitter that belongs to a small business owner on the small business owners land.

Then where would that person stand with regards to liability insurance and the tax office with respect to employing staff on a casual, cash in hand basis? I thought you were able to employ casual staff on a cash in hand basis without informing the tax office.

Would this employer also have to look at health and safety or is this just if the employer has over 5 members of staff?

Ill rephrase it, but i dont think its a shady subject to be discussing.

If someone is looking to employ someone in a job involving chainsaw use and the operation of a 10ton hydraulic splitter that belongs to a small business owner on the small business owners land.

Then where would that person stand with regards to liability insurance and the tax office with respect to employing staff on a casual, cash in hand basis? I thought you were able to employ casual staff on a cash in hand basis without informing the tax office.

Would this employer also have to look at health and safety or is this just if the employer has over 5 members of staff?

Are you joking?