The crossroads

Taupotreeman

After 4 years of being self employed (and struggling most months to make ends meet) I got offered an arborists position at the local council. The job entails part office work and part maintenance of the Council's trees. I thought long and hard about my decision but, taking into consideration my ever increasing costs, age etc, decided to go for the council job and give up on the self employed lifestyle. I'm still not entirely convinced I've done the right thing but must admit the security of regular wages does offset that somewhat. Have I done the right thing?

After 4 years of being self employed (and struggling most months to make ends meet) I got offered an arborists position at the local council. The job entails part office work and part maintenance of the Council's trees. I thought long and hard about my decision but, taking into consideration my ever increasing costs, age etc, decided to go for the council job and give up on the self employed lifestyle. I'm still not entirely convinced I've done the right thing but must admit the security of regular wages does offset that somewhat. Have I done the right thing?

only time will tell. but if you can still do 1 or2 little jobs on a weekend as you will get repeat calls for years. just pick the smaller jobs.

Cheers guys. Still keeping the business name going and the Council are happy for me to do my own stuff at the weekends. Several of my good customers have already said they're happy for me to work saturdays etc for them so should be able to get some extra income. Things have just got so much tighter over the last year or so. One local council drags me all over the area to look at jobs and give them advice only to give the work to other outfits. I spent four days, two tanks of fuel, several hours of phone calls and report writing, organising of timber yards etc on one job only for them to use all the info I gave them on another outfit. Just trying to convince myself I haven't given up without giving the business a real go.

Good luck with it man, as others have said only time will tell but you instincs have went with the council job so always trust them, Self employment will always be there if the council job does not pan out the way you hoped.

And if you are working with the council 5 days you will have lots of energy for the weekend on your own work :biggrin:

All the best. :thumbup1:

I have been self employed for 20 years and have several small businesses so when one goes slack still busy. I would be tempted by a council job especially the way the economy is now and its going to get alot tougher over tthe next ten years when interest rates go up. I would imagine you will get some sort of pension built up. with the amount of holiday and weekends you can still do alot of your own work. Good luck I hope it works out.