Self employed rates?

sihart100

It must be nice to live in a world where every just does what they are trained to do :001_rolleyes:

To me work is a way of doing things I enjoy. I enjoy work, but not as much as fun. If I can make money I will - because money = fun :001_smile: I can't afford to pass up opportunities because I might upset someone. I would rather keep the world happy, but it isn't always practical.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see nothing wrong in using freelance climbers for some jobs.

same here, if its a big job with loads of climbing and I'm climbing as well

I wouldn't send a climber up a tree I wouldn't climb myself, but money is the overriding factor in my business.

If I need an extra man for a tricky dismantle I find I'm better off hiring a decent climber than an extra groundie. Lets me run the show, get the job done quicker (I'm not the fastest climber), wear my haggard old body out less, and make more money.

We usually have a good crack doing it.

I am against subnuts with no arb skills or insurance using freelancers to depress prices even further than they already are.

Yes, I've climbed for people like this a lot over the years. You live and learn.

nice post Mark

Scotspine1 I can see your point but think your being a bit harsh. I freelance because i move around too much to be able to set up properly with vans and chippers etc, i simply cant afford it. If it wasnt for other companies "exploiting" me and my skills then i would be in trouble. Yes we are underpaid but this will never change unless we ALL put our prices up, thats subbies and contractors alike. The problem is that this will never happen because everyone wants the one that puts in the lowest quote! Very frustrating it is too because we will all remain underpaid as a result of this. We all need to band together and push for better pay for the work that we do but there will always be one that is willing to undercut the rest and mess it up for us all. What are we to do? i wish i had a solution...

And there-in lies the main problem of the UK arb industry, subby climbers doing work for employers who can't do it themselves.

Remember these employers are making a name for themselves on the back of your expertise and skills.

for employers - If you can't climb trees and do the work yourself then don't take the job on.

Utter load of tosh. I hire in the best man for each job, to get the best result at the end of the day. A building developer doesnt do all the groundworks, the chippying, the plumbing, the sparks and the roofing, he hires in professionals for each skill, he is the captain that keeps the ship steering in the right direction.

Many climbers are just that, workers who can climb, rig and wieid a saw efficiently, and as such are just a part of a team. FTR, I always introduce my climbers to the client, I make n pretences as to where my skills(?) lie:001_smile:

Utter load of tosh. I hire in the best man for each job, to get the best result at the end of the day. A building developer doesnt do all the groundworks, the chippying, the plumbing, the sparks and the roofing, he hires in professionals for each skill, he is the captain that keeps the ship steering in the right direction.

Many climbers are just that, workers who can climb, rig and wieid a saw efficiently, and as such are just a part of a team. FTR, I always introduce my climbers to the client, I make n pretences as to where my skills(?) lie:001_smile:

Spot on there. If you can't get the job done and make a few quid don't take it on. Nothing wrong with hiring in the right people to get the job done the best way possible. You're still providing the best possible service to the client.

Passing up work because you aren't the best climber in the world is daft if you know a really good climber who'll work on a day rate.

I think I know waht Tim is on about. Andy, you are a tree proffessional who hires in folk for the job but you have a vast knowledge of what is right and what isn't.

Tim is on about knobs who know nothing but get a tree job somehow and then get people in. I have been hired in before and done work like that but not usually for long, if work is slow I would take their money for a while. Ultimatly is was my choice what to do, and if I didn't they could get someone else but for a while you do feel as though you are just there to help them get away with it. They might well go on to become good tree companies and still hire or employ folk. Thats fair enough.

The other side of the coin Tim would be.........skillful tree climbers trying to run tree businesses when they have no idea about business!. A good businessman could run a much better tree company than a good climber, but I would say a reasonable amount of both skills is best and a company run purely as a business is unlikly to be that great anyway.

thats your opinion and thats fine

thats your opinion and thats fine

I agree with Andy

I am quite happy to hire in to “knows nowt’s” who stumble onto the odd tree job, I just charge em more

My opinion is that the groundsman should also be a climber. Climbing work should be shared so that fatigue is reduced, and that if the worst happened, the groundsman could competently rescue the climber. Therefore the groundsman and the climber charge the same rates.

Anyone else share this opinion?

Cheers

Yep, in an ideal world. Groundie Certainly need to be able to rescue climber, a consideration too often overlooked in my experience.