Don’t Drop it, Phat Strop it!

Cutting-Edge Chris

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the feedback and trialling out the Phat Strop. The images certainly give a clearer image of tools demonstrated in use, which i will look into further. Though the product has only been out for 6 weeks I would hope that it has a good life-span, we offer a guarantee service on all our products, as with any tool if you respect it you'll get the best life-span.

I appreciate that the Phat Strop may not suit all preferences, that is why i love discussing and learning about the options on here... Even this convo instigated a good chat with you at the ArbFair North, which has given me new paths to look into.

On a positive note to those who have been intrigued, the Phat Strop option was taken on board by the majority very well at the ArbFair North. I was inundated with different stories of frustrating incidents involving dropping a handsaw or tool. Just as an example, Keith @ Elston Landscapes highlighted the fact he and a colleague were climbing in school grounds only to drop a handsaw in the bushes below... they spent an hour searching for it and couldn't leave the school site until it was found for safety reasons.... bottomline is they lost out on earnings and wasted time. I heard that 4 entrants in the Climbing Competitions were disqualified as they dropped their handsaw... This could have been so easily avoided. :-s

I'm liking the eurovision scoring system... if anyone can add any ratings do keep it rolling... I want to beat Switzerland! ;-D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chris, i hope you recieve all these criticisms as constructive. you respond well to the comments and i'd like to think that means youre taking them on board. i've allready expressed my concerns over the risks of using bunjee material and i appreciated your reply. my question to you now is why bunjee cord and not a static line? i fully support your idea of securing the saw as it can be a pain dropping them and does happen. i just dont see the need for it to be bunjee material. the way i see it there are 2 reasons for using bunjee 1) as a shock absorber and 2) to reduce the length of cord hanging from your harness. now in the case of #1 a silky or other hand saw even up to the rated limit of the strop is not enough weight to need absorbing, and for #2 if its right as i've heard that at full reach the strop is long enough to not stretch then a flexible strop is not required. if i'm wrong on #2 and it does infact stretch then that would enforce my earlier fears of the saw being sprung back if dropped. i just feel that this bunjee offers no more than a static strop could and this brings us to cost, surely a static strop could be sold cheaper even with the same profit margins. in turn this could mean more appeal and more sales. i just feel that this is a product with potential to reach the wider market but currently is only attracting those who like the gimmick. i'll say again 'i DO like the premice behind the idea'. thanks for reading.

My old climbing buddy used to keep his Silky saw on a retracting Ski pass holder - using it one day, the saw slipped in his hand, the ski pass pulled it backwards and the saw cut a deep gash on the inside of each of his fingers!

The latest Northern tool catalogue just made it to the top of the best seller list in the “porcelain room” and low and behold the strop and his cutting mates have made it into the book, a marketing achievement not to be sniffed at.

They have pride of place on the page before the Earthquake Chainsaw” 16 inch with 41cc Viper engine

Which says a lot about the target audience of Northern Tool if nothing else.

My old climbing buddy used to keep his Silky saw on a retracting Ski pass holder - using it one day, the saw slipped in his hand, the ski pass pulled it backwards and the saw cut a deep gash on the inside of each of his fingers!

Don’t underestimate the danger of pull cut saws, even a fixed lanyard can cause problems. I saw a climber descend with a branch between him and the saw on a fixed lanyard, as he dropped the branch acted as a fulcrum to the strop and the handsaw hit him in the head.

On the other hand pull cuts tend to fall handle first (generally) and if the hit someone on the ground they would likely do harm

So lanyard or no lanyard, personal choice.

Hi Dave,

100% always take on feedback, it's what challenges me to think ahead and improve what we do. Speaking with Andy up at the ArbFair North, in the space of a 5 minute convo we got onto the topic of felling wedges and hi-vis jackets, already we have something in the pipeline to show you all at ArborCamp :-)

I was in with Justin @ Jonesies on Thursday to briefly get his thoughts on a static option (more to look at prices tbh) and I agree there could be an opportunity to launch a static version. Being honest the only reason for the extension lanyard was that when we was getting feedback and testing alot of people said they switch hands in the tree with their tool meaning if the carabiner was attached on the right it would need to extend comfortably passed the body and to full arm length to the left. The trouble with the static one like you say is the standard length, it would have to be like 1.4m and my thoughts were this would be way too dangly!

I don't know whether you have seen a Phat Strop in the flesh, might be worth getting the sample passed on by Andy? If not I'm down on Jonesie's stand at the ArborCamp FR Jones Show so we could catch up then perhaps?

Hi Treequip, cheers for the heads up on the Northern Tool front, I've yet to get my copy to see our page.... I hope its down to the performance of the products that we are getting recognised :-) It is interesting though that for many landscapers and orchards (who have always bought our competitor) they now have the option to go with ours like all outdoor pro's do, only difference is I have no reason to get into a price war against you guys :-)

Adios Amigos

Chris

How about making a Silky Scabbard that

1) Has a Roller ateach corner so the Saw never Cuts the Scabbard

2)Has one capitive Magnet in it and another that you tape to the Silky so the Silky never comes out of that.

3) Has a larger Hole in the Bottom so it dosn't get plugged with Detris

4) Holds Secaturs.

If you got it to market I beleive it would sell.

I have just had a climber work for me today, and hes using the phatstrop, When you are using a handheld pruning saw, and the branch gets caught in wind or what ever you wa to put the saw away quickly, with the phat strop you just drop it, A silky does not make it boing back up, hes used it a couple of times doing work for me, and I have to say I will be getting one at the first opportunity. Im sold by it, I wouldnt like to hang hammers etc off it, but its perfect for silkies.

Sooo much easier than struggling to put your saw away whilst handholding branches ready to throw clear of any obstacles below, you could quite easy make a strop out of pull cord etc, but the longer it is imo the more chance of it getting snagged.

Its length flex and ease of use is a very well thought out idea imho. just thought would let you all know.

Thanks

Jaime