Don’t Drop it, Phat Strop it!

Cutting-Edge Chris

I've had some use out of the phat strop now, courtesy of Mr Collins :). Thanks Andy. I've been using it with a silky sugoi 360

It was handy on a reduction over a conservatory, I cut a sizeable branch and had hold of it with one hand but needed two and couldn't manage to get the silky away. Having the phat strop on, I just dropped it, felt weird at first thinking just let go. It dropped, bounced around a bit, albeit a little more than I'd liked as it could catch my ropes quite easily due to the weight of the saw. It came in very handy on a few situations like that and bing able to let it hang made my life easier

After only a few days total use, the elastic sheath has become very furry very quickly and 'bobbled' so it catches on Velcro and gets worse.

I used it with the saw strapped to my leg. Wasn't all that bad, it did create a bit of a loop that got caught on a few little bits on branches that nearly pulled my saw onto my lanyard, nearly a brown trouser moment but it was avoided thankfully! It's handy on your leg, but it's a compromise, if you hang your saw on your harness it would be pretty good, although that loop again can still get caught and having it down next to your leg you could manage it easier.

I had no problem with the elastic limiting my reach at any time. Then again, I'm not exactly tall at 5'8"! I was stretching the elastic but it's not very strong so doesn't impede cutting any more than an awkward cutting position!

I'll get a good bit more use and see how it fares, these are early impressions after a bit of use.

They are handy when you need them, so they are a good addition, however, watch for the bounce back when you drop it near your lines, try to drop it like a chainsaw and lower it down if possible as that minimises bounce.

If it couldn't be dropped easily, using the black elastic loop at the end you can clip it up to your harness temporarily on a darkroom or anything with a clip, or hold it in your teeth like a pirate. (Aarrr! :biggrin:)

Hope that covers everything!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

two short but sweet videos of silkys on the strop, both dropped from same height, sugoi and zubat, the sugoi, being heavier, bounces a lot more. hence why i took a second thought about where to stand!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YqPDYxhvg]‪SIlky zubat on CEUK Phat Strop‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oldPnKZQOYU]‪Silky sugoi on CEUK Phat Strop‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]