Official "Yank'" Picture Thread

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That old Deere is doing sterling work. Love the sprung tines on the loader.

They were free, they were almost the shape I wanted, and they are made from spring steel. They seem to work pretty good. If the wood is small we still have to load the bucket by hand, but on large logs (18") it will grab them. It will also grab brush, which we do occasionally. The down side is that it gives the unit the apperance of being made from junk. Which it kind of was but you just don't want it to look that way. The tractor, the pickup, and the trailer I put together with minimal expense, the bucket and chipper, not so much.

A little history on the tractor. It was my father's and he was looking to get rid of it but the motor was on it's last legs and would probably cost about 3-5K to rebuild. And with a 25 year old rig that was just too much money, so he gave it to me. The motor lasted about a year and a half and I was wondering what I'm going to do now. It sat around for about 6 months and then a mechanic friend of my cousin's said that he had done a CARB replacement on a john deere pump motor for a guy I know and so he had the scrap motor that had been replaced by a govt program to replace older diesel motors with newer ones that have less emissions. They are supposed to destroy the old motors by breaking the block with a sledge hammer but they had neglected to do that and instead gave it to me. I then bought the loader for a thousand and modified it to work on there.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are a few pictures from some storm jobs we had a while back. The first one I quoted but never got the job. Second one was a Modesto Ash that we took down the next week. The rest of the pictures were at the same house and we took down the split tree and some other stuff also.

597654cbd31ca_storm013(Large).jpg.be2bcc0fad5d56d0a2bf1e6a80f9fa13.jpg

597654cbd0dbe_storm007(Large).jpg.f8a1521e3426a8f979c44c914ec9a566.jpg

597654cbcde58_storm006(Large).jpg.66ddafb037fe9f52326e561340d819ef.jpg

597654cbcaf97_storm005(Large).jpg.6d16870465fc50fc516dacda93afb003.jpg

597654cbc7513_storm002(Large).jpg.19ee4079384ba5342eb4e50d59dbee5a.jpg

The storm was actually a reminant of typhoon Melor that hit the Philipines and Japan about a week before. Part of it got up in the jet stream and came all the way across the Pacific Ocean and hammered us. I had no idea they could even do that. The winds were about 30 mph from the south with gusts up to 50 mph and we got 2" of rain. It lasted about 24 hours. We normally get some of these storms in the winter but by then the trees are dormant and it doesn't do much to them.

Edited by Shansen
I looked up the name of the typhoon

• 3 weeks later...