Top Handle Saw on the Ground

scottythepinetree

How many use a top handled saw on the ground?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. How many use a top handled saw on the ground?

• Use occassionally
    • Use regularly
    • Never use

Use them all the time on the ground but not one handed. Sometimes, if I know it's only a small job then I'll take a couple of 200's and nothing else. I can trim or knock over small trees and de limb on the floor. I've seen plenty of people using them one handed on the floor andd I knew a fella who tried to use one in each hand. My looks aren't great, especially as I age so I'm not keen on making them any worse with a kickback injury just because I was too lazy to use both hands. I don't believe there's any rules or regs in NZ about using them on the floor although there was some discussion about it a few years ago.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put all my 020s into retirment on the ground. They are light easy on the back fit into the chipper hopper (where I put kit) and like that I always have a spare and or parts. deck it and you dont have a mile of chain to sharpen and cost less to fill up.

Is this considered bad practice :blushing: now.

tbh i think every fencing and many of the hedgelaying contractors round here use them on the gound soley and they are (apparently) very handy for taking the tops off fenceposts as you can hold the post and saw the top off with the other

I have seen a technical document on river restoration where there are about 2-3pics of people in in using a 020t in stood in the river!

So would you say that rear handled saws should be used in a tree until you find yourself in a situation where one handed use is necessary? A top handled saw could then be sent up for that cut.

The reason I'm asking is that I've met quite a few tree workers who would look at it the way a priest would if you burned a bible in church. I'd still maintain that using a top handle on the ground 2 handed is no more dangerous than it is in the tree.

I am not saying anything, just pointing out what I think are the HSE's reasons for their stance.

FTR, I use an 020 on the ground most days, often one handed, but I am self employed and have my own Co, so I'm responsible for my own actions and any repercussions would be on my own head.

If I had employees using saws I would not want them using an 020 on the floor.

I will use a top handle on the ground if its a quick few cuts, but I try not make a habit of it.

A friend of mine has a whacking great scar across his cheek from using a topper on the ground. It caught a bit of chain link & sliced his cheek nearly completely off, to the point where you could see inside his mouth....but you could class him as one of the lucky ones.

I feel the danger is more complacency when using a top handle, or any piece of machinery in our trade.

I put all my 020s into retirment on the ground. They are light easy on the back fit into the chipper hopper (where I put kit) and like that I always have a spare and or parts. deck it and you dont have a mile of chain to sharpen and cost less to fill up.

Is this considered bad practice :blushing: now.

sounds a good idea,,, but if u want to run a 200 on the ground get hold of the rear handled version,,, they still do them in france with the ce markings on them