Your opinions needed, Yes you kind sir.

Ian Flatters

If you do regular pole work, you wont need a practice. the slower guys average around twenty secs, but think of it more as a timed run, ie your last run was 20 secs, try to do this run in 19 secs?

But to be honest, there isnt a lot to change. Its all organised voluntarily, so anything is better than nothing (And done very well by Terry and Lisa!!)

If anything, its just tinkering and polishing. try a big timing clock, souvenier tees (like ISA, Not the plain boring ones) An overall trophy/standing like the formula 1 races ie the most consistent over all events. But realy not having these wont necessarly detract from the entertainment.

Maybe just more advertising for events? this is mainly relied upon the show organiser putting it in the show program. if they dont have the room on the advert to list it, then this could mean a reduced entry list?

Edited by john dawson

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me new, bionic knees that don't have a nasty habit of dislocating???

I used to be pretty good on a set of spikes, but it's the whole shyness thing that stopped me from ever competing :blushing:. I don't think I'm alone in that affliction and I don't know how you would get around it. Maybe no loud speaker running comentary? Which would make it a very dull and uninformative sport :confused1:

accses to a pole to practice on as I would have liked to enter such a comp, but only if i was averaging 15 seconds so as to not show myself up!

those pole boys are rapid!

I think john summed it up a bit 15 seconds is in the top 2 places in novice class times but with a few runs is easily achievable. The average time in novice is mainly around the 18-27 second mark. You won't show yourself up Tony its not about how fast or how cool you look its about getting your own personal time and beating it, oh and enjoying the view from the top. :thumbup1:

If you do regular pole work, you wont need a practice. the slower guys average around twenty secs, but think of it more as a timed run, ie your last run was 20 secs, try to do this run in 19 secs?

But to be honest, there isnt a lot to change. Its all organised voluntarily, so anything is better than nothing (And done very well by Terry and Lisa!!)

If anything, its just tinkering and polishing. try a big timing clock, souvenier tees (like ISA, Not the plain boring ones) An overall trophy/standing like the formula 1 races ie the most consistent over all events. But realy not having these wont necessarly detract from the entertainment.

Maybe just more advertising for events? this is mainly relied upon the show organiser putting it in the show program. if they dont have the room on the advert to list it, then this could mean a reduced entry list?

Good points John. I've passed on to Terry & Lisa about the leaflets to colleges etc. T-shirts really depend on the event sponsor as you know there is a lot of prize money available at some events and prizes at others. I believe the husky tees might have something printed on the back unlike the world ones last year. The entries last year was pretty constant but they would like to put it out there more so for those who've not tried/never seen it. :thumbup1:

Seriously though, I would love to have a go but dont come across solid 90foot poles with belay attachments that dont have 200 people watching very often.

A few months before some events do run a have a try day. only belayers and people having a try.

Do you think people ain't sure about having a go because of the large crowds? :confused1: