How would you go about getting into a conifer with no crotch?

YoGi_93

Heresy I know, but I will use my gaffs on a tree that stays when it is appropriate for me to do so. I define appropriate whenever my safety or maneuverability in the tree is enhanced.

In these situations I go into "lightfoot mode" where I don't plant them solidly, but only use the points to avoid slipping. These minor wounds, most of which don't penetrate the Cambium layer, will heal more rapidly than the limbs I trim. Also I don't use them at all (while wearing them) whenever I can stand on a branch instead.

So that could mean every single time you climb a tree then!

:001_tongue:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I know speed is a factor but there are always alternatives to spiking retained trees.

I work with two very experienced guys and they NEVER spike unless it's a take-down, and more to the point, they've never needed to!

Yes, sometimes it's awkward as hell but that's part of the job. Why bother doing anything properly when there are almost always ***** shortcuts to do things quicker?

Do the job properly, not lazily.

Are you all serious? spikes and ladders? cant you guys climb?

Use a throwline to get into the tree, if you cant get it where you want then you use skill to get up there but i found if you can get your rope up and round the trunk you can get up easily.

Sheesh ladders and spikes you guys should be ashamed of yourselves!

ladders!!....I use a throwline/bigshot when I have to, but I do this to earn money!. Get the ladder in, get the job done, go and do another one. Spikes - always on a takedown. Its all about doing it as quickly, as efficiently and as safely as possible.