Tree Women fun climbing get together, Forest Park, Norfolk. 1st – 3rd Aug 08

Thea

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was other Abbie climbing or just holding baby Morris?

(I know thats the wrong spelling, there is a welsh way of spelling morris but I can't remember it)

Thats got to be some of the best tuition a female climber could get in this country/europe/the world!!

What a pity that more women did not support this initiative.

I agree with this. A lot of time and effort is put into planning these get-togethers, and we meet people all the time who say it would be cool to come to the next meet, but then never even reply to emails. You ladies out there, why do you think this is? Are we too busy at home? Too lazy to drive? Too skint? Too scared?

You ladies out there, why do you think this is? Are we too busy at home? Too lazy to drive? Too skint? Too scared?

I don't think I'd be too interested in a women-only get together (but I'm not in England anyway). What's the point? It's a male dominated industry, we all work with men 5 days a week, what's the point of our own private climbing get-together?

Women work more or less the same as men in the trees or on the ground, have more or less the same issues etc and the same things to learn. The biggest obstacle I come against is that gender is often too big an issue; if you do a bad job it's because you're female, if you do a good job it's despite being female. Each as irritating as the other. The only way past that attitude is to concentrate on the job, not the gender, and I feel that women-only events, however small, are not a step in the right direction, and maybe the wrong one. Honestly I'm not trying to be aggressive or dismissive, but after a few years I've learned that the best way to work as a female in this job is to forget about sex:scared1:haha ye know what I mean:001_tongue:

I don't think I'd be too interested in a women-only get together (but I'm not in England anyway). What's the point? It's a male dominated industry, we all work with men 5 days a week, what's the point of our own private climbing get-together?

Women work more or less the same as men in the trees or on the ground, have more or less the same issues etc and the same things to learn. The biggest obstacle I come against is that gender is often too big an issue; if you do a bad job it's because you're female, if you do a good job it's despite being female. Each as irritating as the other. The only way past that attitude is to concentrate on the job, not the gender, and I feel that women-only events, however small, are not a step in the right direction, and maybe the wrong one. Honestly I'm not trying to be aggressive or dismissive, but after a few years I've learned that the best way to work as a female in this job is to forget about sex:scared1:haha ye know what I mean:001_tongue:

Very good post!!

I wondered why it was a women only event, if there had been a men only event it would have been seen as sexist.

The only advantage to a women only event is that you may get girls who feel more comfortable with other women, but to be honest I think girls like that are going to struggle in this industry,IMO.