beech

the villan

You've got to start somewhere Clive.... once seasoned for 18-24 months (its Beech) it will be good quality firewood.

If your selling in nets it will make you a nice few quid - if your stockpilling for transit loads/dumpy bag etc sales then make sure your price reflect the costs incurred in purchasing it plus labour/fuel etc.

Good luck with it mate!

Cut it into logs now and leave in the sun. Come sept cut a log in half and use a moisture meter if below 20% ready to go beech seasons quickly. Dont sell by the tonne when seasoned sell by the loose cubic metre otherwise you will be giving away alot of timber and open to problems with trading standards.

As steve says , people recon ash is the best IMO beech is far superior ! If it's logged now will be ready for sept I've rung up all my beech so hopefully I only have to split in sept hopefully that will do it, last year I had 50 tonne of 9" thinnings I was selling ash at 200 a load and the people who brought beech wanted more.

Sounds like a good price, my advice would be to buy as much of it as you can afford, log it, store it and do not loose your nerve and sell it too early. People seem to go crazy for logs in December, ensure you have stock for the week/day before christmas.

thanks for the replies,is it worth buting any more at that price?i finally found a good supply of it.

When you say butting does that mean its big timber. At £50 a tonne u should be able to get 9" stuff for processsor, stuff over 14 " is more work and should be a tad cheaper. But i could be wrong the firewood market has gone a bit mad. Lets just hope it does not melt down.

I must admit I find it hard to get my head around what timber is worth.

But my advice would be work out what your costs are (include everything). Work out what you will sell at. What's your profit? Are you happy with that?

If so buy as much as you can lay your hands on.

If not negotiate the price or look for other sources.

Get to know who your local tree surgeons are. Do they sell logs? If not you may be able to pick up their logs for free as long as you're reliable and don't mess them about.