Gum Tree Demolition

YALTA

I ummed and ahhhed for awhile before posting, as i new what would be coming.:blushing:

I hoped by posting that anyone else who sees the vid and thinks "that looks like a normal day at the office" will learn from my mistakes as well.

Any advice on what i could have done better is greatly appreciated.

cheers

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good on ya mate for posting the vid. As already said, it takes a lot of balls to post something onto a site where there are so many experienced professionals.

But, by posting the vid, and by the responses from other members, it helps educate people such as myself who also have very little experience.

Keep on posting.:001_smile:

• 3 months later...

I worked in oz for 6 months, big gums are the best for take downs!

It Really is worth doing a course where you will get safety and technique drummed into you. My 6 months out your way (Melbourne), was part of my 2 year course based in the UK.

All I would say is if you are not totally confident with where the bit you are cutting off is going to land, improve your position and do it in smaller pieces/hand helds, or get the lowering rope out.

Ive got 8 years under my belt now and all my near misses were in the early years trying to go too big- it's not worth the small amount of time you save.

Brave man for posting that. Well done.

I remember my first “job”, it was before the advent of helmet cameras, indeed the debate at the time was Betamax or VHS.

I dismantled a 40 foot ash for my sister with nothing more than some rock climbing kit, a hired saw and a flagrant disregard for my own safety (no PPE). I managed to dent the central heating vent and knock the corner off a capstone. More luck than good judgment. I have since replaced the luck element with training and experience.

Andy

Well it was rough but watchable Yalta

RE: the folding cuts

Back/top cutting can be very unforgiving and dangerous when you use it at the wrong time, and to have any kind of success you must have a fast cutting saw to get through the wood before it barber-chairs.

Also, try cutting it on an angle (as if cutting out a dagger) which can allow the branch to hang on that little bit longer. Although, probably best of all is an open face notch and then you can just edge through your top cut at what ever speed you want e.g. watch Mark fold the last one over the wires [ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_VLHd6FBBzE[/ame]

INVEST in some training mate, or work with some pros for a bit-you'll be amazed at how far you can progress with the right knowledge-jobs will go smoother, quicker, safer, no breakages, stress free you'll get a (good) name for the quality of work you do, which will lead to more coin!

you broke the fence cause you diddnt have the knowledge training would have given you! it may only be a fence pannel you broke, but it could have been a green house, car, phone/eletric lines-all alot more expensive

training is an investment that will last you forever

Well dome for posting that mate, I reckon the extre time you take putting a few extra cuts in here and there will be more than make up for the time you spend after with a hammer and nails. Even when chunking vertical sections a step cut will give you so much more control otherwise one day a chunk will take your saw with it. But please never post any more felling tops out like that, my nerves could'nt take it.:001_smile: