what would you pay someone for day rate for forestry work

Stu

Try working it backwards from minimum wage:

9.5 x £5.93 = £56.33 +

3 litres fuel and 1.5 litres chain oil = £8

Wear and tear on saw, as well as sharpening costs = £5 a day (approx)

So, in order for you to make minimum wage, you need to be earning £70 a day. I don't think that decent cutters should be on minimum wage, so go for £80 instead.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i was using my own saw, fuel, oil, sharpening,etc i would be needing at least £100 a day. Otherwise your better off just going and working as a groundie for someone. What happens if you need a new saw, where are you going to get the money for it?

i work for £40 a day normally, forestry work with my own saw, ppe and other kit/tools, but im a student and i ent fussed really i just want the experience

This is the attitude you want mate, don't get me wrong that's no alot of money your getting... but just think of the valuable experience you will gain:thumbup:. say after a few month's ask your boss for a pay increase. Everyone earns crap money at the start mate. Regards Western

Try working it backwards from minimum wage:

9.5 x £5.93 = £56.33 +

3 litres fuel and 1.5 litres chain oil = £8

Wear and tear on saw, as well as sharpening costs = £5 a day (approx)

So, in order for you to make minimum wage, you need to be earning £70 a day. I don't think that decent cutters should be on minimum wage, so go for £80 instead.

agreed but he is possibly not a decent cutter

and if this is his first job i would doubt he was a while till he was producing enough to earn his keep

Many a guy would do this for expenses just for the experience that there are a lot of guys would love

Stu this was not meant as a critisem of you as obviously dont know you but a generalisation

yeah working in forestry is a great experiance!! and well worth not earning great money because of that but i was jus trying to get a rough idea, even though its a great job to work in!! ive still gotta earn a wage cause thats what i go to work for, i jus thought £50 wasnt alot for a very hard and long day even if im not the most experianced

Hi, by the sounds of it you are self-employed?? You mention the contractor, are you a sub-contractor and self-employed? If so you are not entitled to minimum wage! Being self-employed you state your rates and terms or accept the rate you are offered and the terms offered - provide fuel, oil, ppe etc. If you are not happy with it then you negotiate or turn the work down and look elsewhere.

Who is not entitled to the National Minimum Wage : Directgov - Employment

So, assuming you are self-employed...If you were cutting less than 4 tonnes a day and requiring constant supervision, help and instruction then I would say that's fair but only if you are provided with at least fuel and oil. By the sounds of it you are beyond that so try and understand how the contractor is paid. If it is tonnes then suggest being paid a fair tonnage rate given your experience.

If, however, you are an employee (or have not been given anything stating you are self-employed or employed for that matter and it is 'assumed' you are an employee) then the minimum wage kicks in. Be careful here as you may end up on an apprentice wage which I think is only £2.50/hr. The fuel, oil, saw, PPE, consumables etc - you have a strong argument that your employer should provide them, it could be law but a lawyer I am not!

As an employee you cannot be forced to work more than 48hr a wk on average. Working time limits (the 48-hour week) : Directgov - Employment

I hope that helps.

Na im not gunna say anything yet, i wanna get a bit more experiance first then il talk to him

i just wanted to get a rough idea of what was right and whats not.

and im back on piece rate now started a new site:001_smile:

hi ian yh im self employed. what do you think a day rate should be? i work by myself without no supervision all day and have done so since ive been with the company when i first started i was probaly cutting 4 tons or less but now i try to do at least 7 but aim for 8 or 9and more and have just over 2 months experience?