Sleep.

Sam Thompson

Write everything down that's in your head on a note pad.

Get all the brain clutter parked up till the next morning, and it may release your mind for a night full of Zzzzz's

Good shout

I have a pad and pen next to the bed, as my brain is on the go all the time as soon as I write it down I can switch off and come back to it later.

Saying that I only need 5-6 hours a night, guess I'm just lucky.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I suffer from insomnia a lot and am having a particularly bad spell, possibly the worst of my life right now - funny this thread should come up now!

Usually it lasts a week and little more but I've now barely slept for nearly 3 weeks and let me tell you - absolutely nothing helps; been there tried that.

Currently at that point where vision is yellow, got the shakes all the time, organs feel like they're failing and you have to think to breathe and every movement takes an effort. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

No joke, if it carries on over a month, general anasthetic is an option.

Good regular yoga works for me (have not been practicing recently though...:sneaky2:)

Finding a good teacher/classes is the hard part - a lot of strange people out there with poor knowledge seem to teach. Try different classes and don't go by your first experience.

Not an instant thing but if you got into it regularly you would see improvement in sleep and health in general.

Try an find a class with some nice looking girls as well! :001_tongue:

I know it's not a 'macho' thing to do and it takes guts to go into a class by yourself but worth it.

Apologies but this reminds me of the dyslexic, insomniac, agnostic who used to lay awake at night wondering....

is there really a DOG?

Sorry - couldn't resist, but at least there are some good suggestions here.

Cheers fellas. Im going to try the pad and pen thing, and look into breathing & yoga

Thanks again

I used to be the same, its brain clutter. As Monkeyd says, get it out your head, pen and paper is a pain, having to turn the light on and off, scribbles etc. I use my iphone and map out my week, swap my notes about, i have about a dozen headings on the go all the time.

During the day you are subjected to millions of diferent things, your conscious mind prioritises the basics BUT your sub concious is storing them all. hen you finally slow down and start to relax, all the questions that were thrown at you during the day start getting answered, so all of a sudden your tiny conscious mind is bombarded with stuff, it cant handle it.

So get them out and onto a screen or paper. These answers may only come once, or maybe every 30 years, so get it written down because it could be a life changer that you will forget:thumbdown:

I can not recomend an iphone enough, as an idea pops into my head it gets written down, if i think i will forget it i set a reminder, lets say in a couple of days, even a week, hell i put all the birthdays and anniverseries and stuff in it a year in advance.

Even just there i got a text through about work, i quickly replied asking the relevant questions, so when he returns the text i will have his full name, address, contact details and suitable times for me to visit, once i look over my diary and jobs i will fit him in and contact him then, so there is no on the spot decision making, that i am bad at:blushing:

I can look at jobs with google maps as well, use th estreet maps as a reminder incase i have been before and was to embarassed to say, ' sorry who are you?:biggrin:)

i sleep like a baby now, i didnt get up till 12pm today, the last hour i messed about with my phone, lookng into what my dreams meant last night, going through jobs, checking out arbtalk on tapatalk which is amazing btw!!!!

Good luck with your quest:thumbup1:

Alchohol is not a good idea, it does make you sleepy but after 4-5 hours it has the opposite effect as your body over-compensates by releasing stimulant. Also alcohol irritates the urinary tract, so once you have passed urine containing alcohol you will need to go again sooner.

People usually benefit from a routine, so your body knows what to do at a particular time of day. Try to set a bedtime routine, warm milky drink or whatever, get to bed at around the same time each day, and try not to get up again even if you don't feel sleepy. After a few days of brain training like that it should start to get better. On the same note don't vary the routine at weekends.

People who say they haven't slept, but have been lying down in bed actually get more sleep than they think they have, as you go into a state of microsleep, where you get tiny bursts of sleep type brain activity without realising it. If you think you aren't sleepy and get up and start doing stuff you definately won't get any sleep.

Lastly, different people need different amounts of sleep, 7 hours might be fine for you, 5 hours might be fine for someone else. Most people need between 7-9 hours.