Unimogs rock thread

Stephen Blair

Eddiegts, really sorry to hear it's not going smoothly for you. I know how frustrating that is, not to mention the expense of down time.

Sounds like you're about to join the very very long list of disgruntled ParkAgri ex-customers. For future reference, Ibbetts are not too far from you. I've never had the need to use them but have only heard good things from others.

Also, I have had spare parts from Mudie Bond and always had good advice and swift service.

Thank you :001_smile: its a shame because ive always got on with them.

will give others a try next time

Oh I am sorry if I am going off topic, and moaning about the guys doing the work dont want to slag them off or put other people off from using them.

But some times its good to blow off a bit of steam with guys that have been in my place and understand whats going on also the good advice you have given

Thats a great question stu an hgv mechanic must be able to do the work as its only nuts and bolts is it not :confused1:

they still rock though even in bits:thumbup:

my mechanic had never worked on a mog till he saw mine.. so far in 7 yrs theres been nothing he cant do.. he finds it very easy to work on compared with hgv's.. body and cab tips very easily to give good access..

How much is this whole engine swap going to cost ? why did you not just take the mog to a local hgv garage ?

My local HGV guys would not go near it :thumbdown:

As for the cost it was £3k for the recon engine (will get £750 back for my old one) new clutch fitted oh and new flywheel £1k

£400 for them to take the old engine out and try and find out what was wrong with it.

and about £1100 to fit it this NOW includes oils filters belts sort the timing out etc...

now maybe I have been stung I dont know and tbh its to late I just want to get it back and working again as we now have a 4 week back log of work that this Mog needs to do

in a nut shell no.

Saying a u16## is just a u1000, u12## or u14## with more power is like saying men are built just like women simply because they have a head, 2 arms, 2 legs and an a**hole wile ignoring the obvious other differences! ;)

A u16## has totally different axels, a heavily strengthened chassis, a heaver/stronger steering system, stronger springs, piston crown coolers in the engine, different engine mounted oil cooler (plate vs. disk type), a 10000kg to 11300kg GVW, bigger brakes, different wheels and a few other minor differences.

Really a u16## is a bastardisation between a 424 type MBU (u1000, u12##, u14##) and 425 type SBU (u1300, u1500, u17##) to yield something a little smaller than an SBU but a bit bigger than an MBU which results in a relatively powerful, strong and relatively compact package.

cheers b101uk, i am trying to find out as much as i can about mogs but i'm finding it hard. looked on amazon for a book and they were all in German! Can anyone recommend any good sites, books, etc?

As for the cost it was £3k for the recon engine (will get £750 back for my old one) new clutch fitted oh and new flywheel £1k

£400 for them to take the old engine out and try and find out what was wrong with it.

and about £1100 to fit it this NOW includes oils filters belts sort the timing out etc...

now maybe I have been stung I dont know and tbh its to late I just want to get it back and working again as we now have a 4 week back log of work that this Mog needs to do

That doesn't sound too bad to me.

ok how long have you had this mog ? do you work local or do you do alot of miles in it