No Notch = No Direction

Mani

Wow! What if there had been a nuclear reactor at the side? We could have had a serious incident on our hands!

sarcastic yes, very good, but did you know that many accidents in treework are caused by small details, thats what separates the professionals from the amateurs.

In that situation even in a woodland a professional stands apart from an amateur by making a notch instead of a buggered up step cut.

That guy buggered up that piece of work, when it would have a taken an extra 10 seconds to make an accurate notch which would have allowed for better control of the falling timber.

he buggered it up.

Whats the problem:confused1:

:dito:

Allthough I reckon I could have chogged that down in the time it took to get the saw going. :001_smile:

I allways use step cuts never had a prob:thumbup:lem yet

Well I'm probably lying there most of the time I just use a back cut unless theres a bad lean to it the wrong way etc.

you surely dont use just a back cut on stems that length i hope?

Tbh I meant while chogging (my bad)but sometimes on long stems theres no need depending on the species, or usually a quick nick of the bark does the trick.

Never had a bad tear YET! :001_smile:

Not to say its good practice like :001_tongue:

That is your opinion, of which you are perfectly entitled to, and have the freedom to express.

I know

Personally, Ive done exactly the same thing.

18 years treework, and still an amatuer :D

A half baked amateur by the sounds of it. Sounds to me like you obviously dont do a lot of large removals near expensive houses where directional notches are critical in the rigging process. I dont have a problem with using step-cuts for blocking down into a landing zone where there are no valuable structures, but using a step cut in the scenario in the video is sh*te.

That guy has all the gear of a professional, pfanners, new age harness, all the ppe you could ever want space goggles etc, even has a second tie in point from the other tree but yet he cant perform a simple notch cut instead he chooses a buggered up step cut.

I know

A half baked amateur by the sounds of it. Sounds to me like you obviously dont do a lot of large removals near expensive houses where directional notches are critical in the rigging process. I dont have a problem with using step-cuts for blocking down into a landing zone where there are no valuable structures, but using a step cut in the scenario in the video is sh*te.

That guy has all the gear of a professional, pfanners, new age harness, all the ppe you could ever want space goggles etc, even has a second tie in point from the other tree but yet he cant perform a simple notch cut instead he chooses a buggered up step cut.

Never judge a book by it's cover- some half-baked ameteurs like myself might just have cut a tree down before. It's amazing what the inept can achieve:001_tongue:

using rigging methods like that might one day end up with the climber having a friction burn of the century.

Yep. Piece falls off the back and rope runs between climber and stem - rope tears skin off arms, Gunter ends up balling like a baby for his mummy.

Never judge a book by it's cover- some half-baked ameteurs like myself might just have cut a tree down before. It's amazing what the inept can achieve:001_tongue:

oh, I get it. I see whats going on here, you guys have all seen and done it all before, no need to discuss tree surgery techniques anymore. Not sure if this website is for me, are there any other more serious tree surgery forums on the web?