free climbing for fun

bareroots

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do enjoy a free climb every now and then, today we looked at climbing a 150cm dbh oak for fun, it wouldn't have been very exciting as it was only 30ft tall, instead we took our pots of tea and sat on the ridgetiles of the clients house (where the cctv can't see us) for 20mins.

i free climbed a larch while camping two years ago, about 40ft above the pitch hanging on by one hand showing off i thought this is a bit silly and scrambled back down.:biggrin:

Edited by armchairarborist
spelling mistake

Every now and again, but not in really massive trees. I start to loose my nerve a bit over around 20m not roped in. But before I climbed with ropes I had much less fear for it.

Same here.

Last time I tried it I got to about 20ft and actually reached down for my lanyard!:blushing:

Im only ground worker qualified, so free climb only, have done it since I was a kid, somehow wont grow out of it. Although age is starting to hinder a little. I did this in N.Z at the coromandel in 2006. A norfolk pine, first attempt 1 minute 22 seconds. Realised my errors had another go next day 45 seconds. I was well chuffed. 59765a3f90e41_mooncatcher.jpg.d920f9be64a750173f54fdbddb4f44c2.jpg

Edited by Goaty

Once your over 40 foot if you fall your dead any way :001_tt2:

You say that, but in the wild trees, there is a story mentioned of a guy who fell from a huge height, cant remember exactly, but fell into pine needle rich spongy soil. F'd himself up a bit but survived..

This is one of my fav pics of me free climbing.:biggrin:

P1030144.jpg.c32b3392700eacaff0bfa8dd0f4ae255.jpg

A few years ago I went on a trip to London with a load of primary school children. One evening we all went to a part (Hide park, I think). The kids were playing foot ball and I got bored.

I slopped of to a decent sized Elm (65'/70'), I free climbed to the top, I then realized I had been spotted and the teachers had sat all the kids down to watch :blushing: