Hedge work Prices

White Noise

Or maybe they are unsure about a certain aspect of their business and feel confident enough to ask a simple question on a public forum as they know most members will give them some friendly advice.

If I choose to do a job for nothing because I want to or feel a moral obligation to a customer to provide a service I will. I am not running a charity but some jobs are only worth a tenner, some I do for a coffee.

there is running a business by the book, but the trouble with that is a book can be closed very easily and then re opened at a diferent page another day, but that's not the real world. :)

I agree with stevie here, i have been and looked at a job that will take me 10 mins, 1 branch to remove with a pair of loopers and it can go in the wheelie bin, I said if you make me a brew and a biscuit then thats payment. She had been quoted 25 quid of another company. Had I got to travel a distance to do the job then that's different. We all should know how our company's operate so we can use our discretion to price.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with stevie here, i have been and looked at a job that will take me 10 mins, 1 branch to remove with a pair of loopers and it can go in the wheelie bin, I said if you make me a brew and a biscuit then thats payment. She had been quoted 25 quid of another company. Had I got to travel a distance to do the job then that's different. We all should know how our company's operate so we can use our discretion to price.

I have to say that works. My wife runs her own gardening business and one of her older customers needed help with a tree problem. I charged a capuccino and a piece of home-made cake to solve it. The wife is now her permanent gardener for the fact she knew we were not there to screw her for her buried fortune but to provide a friendly service. Swings and roundabouts really - if the job warrants it you charge for it and accordingly to the going rates which this forum helps us all with :biggrin:

i tend to find the reason why some people go for the cheapest quote is because some people feel or need to have there hedges done twice a year?

and paying for the same job twice a year can be off putting..

as for tree work,this only gets done once or every few years...

imo its all about having a good look at the works to be carried out, and not just a quick guess... some hegdes can produce alot of waste...

measure twice cut once...

oh yeh i charge by the job:001_smile:

• 11 months later...
hi just went to look at my first hedge job. hedge is 40m long & 3m high do u guys think £160 is to little or to much for 2x men should only take a couple of hours any advice would b great. thanks jako

Sounds way way too cheap imo. 2 hours seems rushed to me aswell . You dont say how wide it is at the top ? that is the important bit that will determine how long / awkward the job will be . :001_smile:

hi just went to look at my first hedge job. hedge is 40m long & 3m high do u guys think £160 is to little or to much for 2x men should only take a couple of hours any advice would b great. thanks jako

Depending on how thick the hedge is & the type of hedge you maybe suprised how long it will actually take!

2 Hours ?? I asume they want the garden tidied up afterwards, and how long to go and dispose of the waste.

I work on the assumption that it takes 15 minutes to get thre, 15 minutes to set up, get all the gear out, 15-30 minutes to tidy up then 30 minutes to get rid of it.

Theres rarely such thing as a really quick job.

Far too many reply's for me to look at everyones opinion - I have to head out again soon but im just home from a hedge cutting job so adding my opinion.

My advice? Price the job not the day - hedges, though seemingly boring compared to tree's, differ from eachother great amounts, there's a huge difference between a conifer hedge that's 5 foot tall that you can get your trailer up to, that a beech hedge 50 yards down someone inaccessible back garden that's a tad too thick for your hedge cutter and you spend half the day battling into the middle of the thing with a silky saw because the owner hasnt done anything with it for yonks......

Customers are not obliged to accept your quote and I don't think I would be too inclined to reduce my costs because old fred down the road will do it cheaper - if he can - then good luck - I would happily negotiate on a large tree job if i knew it would be fun to do! But in my humble opinion, I hate cutting hedges so if I am going to do one, the customer will get a very good job done - but at a cost i'm happy to stand there and do it for....

Dont get me wrong, I dont stand in old ladies doorways telling them Im a thousand quid a day or nothing........ but if your running a business you have to make money - whether your on a top notch felling job with the lads or mooching about in the rain on your own with a hedgecutter.....

And lastly - dont forget your truck uses the same amount of diesel no matter what job your driving too - and hedgecutters use petrol - it all costs money.

:001_cool: