Ian Flatters

Also you still haven't answered the facts i gave you so i'll paste them here;

A) Roadside raise was to 5.25m which is a common highway spec

B) Parking side the lowest tips were only 3.25m as specified by the client

C) 7+ meters right

D) Butchering the tree!

D.1) Butchers are highly skilled people

D.2) I find your comment highly disrespectful

E) It is important to allow passing police and securtiy companies to have clear sight across areas without risking walking into a situation.

F) Stripped the tree? No no ring barking going on here fella.

G) the tree was probably only 12-13m high in total.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So im guessing reducing the crowns shape and thinning also allow light through and cause all these problems??????

Anyway, there is a lot of info on raising trees just look on any arb information exchange site or read any books. What you seem to be angling towards is over raising the tree??? Like i said the tree spec was just over 5m roadside and just over 3m carpark side.

Crown raising cannot be evil as you imply as well its in our British Standards, Good pruning guides, National Joint Utillities Group, advice leaflets etc, etc.

I guess your trying to put me down because my video's are better than yours:confused1:

Anyway to your last question If im paid to Crown raise a tree i will raise the crown to the specified height, not leaving it look like i couldn't be bothered to leave it looking aesthetically good. Lets be honest here trees will manage themselves it is us humans who think they need managing:biggrin:.

I guess if you do Crown raising like you preach thats why you mainly have videos of felling?

Im not going to bow down to you and your obviously self obsessed opinions about how i should work like you, next you'll ask me to buy a bucket truck and marry you.

I would like to ask you then if your all great and most excellent. Can you please post pictures or a video of one of YOUR raises not tell me im wrong then post a video of you leaving a stub.

I look forward to seeing your video as well as your published paper on how crown raising is wrong and all trees will die if we do it and then the world will collapse into a black hole created by my pruning cut.

All my love x x x x x x

:clap:

There was quite a bit of room between the road and the tree, leaving plenty of room to tip back and thin the lower branches, and still provide the needed clearance for the road.

You seem to be reacting quite defensively.. rather than conducting an intelligent discussion. Perhaps that is in part my doing, for calling the work butchery, rather than an inferior practice..

Was there no way to leave any branches at all on that job. Did you advise the client on the clearances needed, or simply follow their specs. I don't like following others' specs, when they conflict with my ideas about proper tree care. If you were simply following their specs, did you advise the client about other options?

And my other quesion was this.. when you are asked to prune a tree, with no specifications, do you remove lower sprouts and elevate as a standard operating procedure. Far too many companies here do so. One day it will be as commonly frowned on, as topping is today.. Time will tell..

There was quite a bit of room between the road and the tree, leaving plenty of room to tip back and thin the lower branches, and still provide the needed clearance for the road.

You seem to be reacting quite defensively.. rather than conducting an intelligent discussion. Perhaps that is in part my doing, for calling the work butchery, rather than an inferior practice..

Was there no way to leave any branches at all on that job. Did you advise the client on the clearances needed, or simply follow their specs. I don't like following others' specs, when they conflict with my ideas about proper tree care. If you were simply following their specs, did you advise the client about other options?

And my other quesion was this.. when you are asked to prune a tree, with no specifications, do you remove lower sprouts and elevate as a standard operating procedure. Far too many companies here do so. One day it will be as commonly frowned on, as topping is today.. Time will tell..

Not defensively, just found your first comments rather rude and your point came across as a jib rather than a question. There was no way to reduce tips as i had said earlier, security view vistas and public highway, from what you can see are cars parked on the other side of the road. Now if im asked to prune a tree with no spec it depends on what is needed to achieve the desired results, light in garden im more likely to recommend a reduction of the crown or a thin. In a small garden like a terrace house it might be removal or even a raise to gain some light under the tree.

Any really windows movie maker or video pad are fine. All you need to do is reduce the frame length to around 0.5-0.64 of a second and the time lapse will work fine. :thumbup1:

Get a mac and use imovie for sure easy to use and really intuative. One may quickly produce proffesional looking home movies to play at BBQs and other social events. Then record it all to a "Cassete" and share woth your friends Video Home System.... Things may have changed though. :-D

Joking aside, go mac!

Might have a go with mine tomorrow. Waht setting do you find best? I was thinking the longest, 30 seconds?

Depends on what your doing i put it on 2-5 seconds for removals and 10 upwards for reductions and stuff that takes a little longer to put together. I found reducing picture frame time on the movie maker to 0.5-0.64 give the best flowing footage.:thumbup1: It takes a while to put together but i find this form of footage more potential client friendly. Enjoy putting it together the end result always makes me glad i spent an hour doing it.

Do you have to set every frame then? I was hoping to just load each photo as a frame then tell it the time gaps etc and off we go?

Not sure I can be bothered for tomorows job but we will see. Its a 95% crown lift on a beech, should look lovely!!

Do you have to set every frame then? I was hoping to just load each photo as a frame then tell it the time gaps etc and off we go?

Not sure I can be bothered for tomorows job but we will see. Its a 95% crown lift on a beech, should look lovely!!

Windows movie maker/live i don't know. I have a sony program and a videopad program both of which i can input data length prior to adding any photo's. I think for the deadwood video i had about 198 frames i did add each one individually as i stupidly re-named the file so i lost the correct order. Took me a coupler of evenings when i could be bothered to add to it. The reduction one took 10 minutes tops.

Going to time lapse an ash reduction this friday.