Time Lapse Videos

Ian Flatters

Nonsense... you stripped that tree to 7+ meters.. you left not one lower limb.. I would call that butchering the tree .. you can call it important.. guess its all in your point of view...

What i would like to say is;

A) Roadside raise was to 5.25m which is a common highway spec

B) Parking side the lowest tips were only 3.25m as specified by the client

C) 7+ meters right:confused1:

D) Butchering the tree!

D.1) Butchers are highly skilled people

D.2) I find your comment highly disrespectful

E) It is important to allow passing police and securtiy companies to have clear sight across areas without risking walking into a situation.

F) Stripped the tree? No no ring barking going on here fella.

G) the tree was probably only 12-13m high in total.

Have a great week:thumbup1:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the best I have in that area right now. I will try to produce something better this year..

Right so your slamming me for Raising a tree, then you comeback with how i should proper prune a tree by showing me a reduction not a raise. The wound you left was probably the size of all the little cuts i did added together so Mr Daniel Murphy you do realize i was carrying out raising operations not branch reductions:confused1::biggrin:

Compared to the overall size of the trees in question, the amount of material Ian and I removed was miniscule. The amount of wounding to the tree was minimal. The root plates were all covered with mulch anyway so didn't need screening by the lower branches.

Mr Flatters is a very experienced, knowledgeable and professional arborist. To call the work he does "butchery" is incredibly rude and shows a lack of understanding of what good practice in tree work is.

Compared to the overall size of the trees in question, the amount of material Ian and I removed was miniscule. The amount of wounding to the tree was minimal. The root plates were all covered with mulch anyway so didn't need screening by the lower branches.

Mr Flatters is a very experienced, knowledgeable and professional arborist. To call the work he does "butchery" is incredibly rude and shows a lack of understanding of what good practice in tree work is.

Thank-you Neil and well done for remembering the bark mulch (as i had forgot):thumbup1:

The tree didn't "need" its lower branches huh? That is the exact type of thinking that I AM talking about.. The video is quite clear.. He stripped every lower limb and sprout on that tree, and needlessly so.. He could have gotten the same roadside clearance by reducing and thinning the lower limbs and sprouts. There was a bed of shrubs under that tree.. the client didn't "need" much clearance over the shrubs. If someone had explained to the client how important to the tree's health those lower limbs limbs are, the client in most cases will agree to do what is best for the tree.

BUT arborists that think the tree doesn't "need" its lower limbs won't bother making that case. Its just easier to strip the poor tree on your way down. Its fast, easy, looks good, and you THINK it doesn't hurt the tree.. after all doesn't that mimick the growth of trees in a wooded setting.. I did it for years, until I learned better. This is a problem in the industry right now. We should be looking at the practice shown in the video, the same way we look at topping. Yet here was have a perfect example of the state of awareness on this issue.

The video is posted and no one objects.. no one thinks there is a problem here. Seems like the vast majority of "knowledgable" arborists are still stripping trees like this as a knee-jerk reaction on every tree they prune. This industry is slow to change.

We have to pull off the blinders and start looking around.. Trees that have their lower limbs tend to be far better off than those without... That said.. it is possible that the long, hot, dry, and sunny summers we have here in the US, make those lower limbs far more important that they are in England.. Temps here can reach 39º C, with a brutal late afternoon sun. When that sun beats on the trunk and root zone for hours, that is going to put tremendous stress on a tree.

I really don't understand why you always seem to slam other peoples work. If you think your work is better than everyone elses then thats fine i really am not bothered. I know you understanding of this site is completly wrong as you would of realized if you had read my earlier response. I wasn't bigging up my work in any way but just showing some time lapse videos for people to see not trying to force a way of felling a tree on people.

Crown lifting is required work within an urban, non urban and highways areas. Would you expect your wife, boyfriend, partner, son or daughter to walk on the road where they could potentially get hit by a car? I wouldn't. The overall loss of phototropic material is minimal in the bigger picture and the small epicormics have always been manged in that way.

I guess if you ideoligy of pruning is correct and everyone else is doing it wrong because we can only follow published papers from reserch then i guess Mister you better get writing and publishing then we can all change!

Good luck with you reserch and im awaiting the first copy for reading.

Although you might be better off selling the raise to you clients and then placing the woodchip around the base which if fresh will have lots of benificial sugars and starch. Then maybe factor a cost in for applying water with feed in throughout those dry hot summers like we do with young trees. Might make you an extra buck or two.

Could you please site the research papers you are refering to.. I think Gilman is pretty clear on the negative effects of the work that you showed on that video. See "an illustrated guide to pruning" page 216-219.

and do you remove the lower sprouts on most trees as a standard pruning practice? Even when visual or ground clearance is not required???

Could you please site the research papers you are refering to.. I think Gilman is pretty clear on the negative effects of the work that you showed on that video. See "an illustrated guide to pruning" page 216-219.

and do you remove the lower sprouts on most trees as a standard pruning practice? Even when visual or ground clearance is not required???

So im guessing reducing the crowns shape and thinning also allow light through and cause all these problems??????

Anyway, there is a lot of info on raising trees just look on any arb information exchange site or read any books. What you seem to be angling towards is over raising the tree??? Like i said the tree spec was just over 5m roadside and just over 3m carpark side.

Crown raising cannot be evil as you imply as well its in our British Standards, Good pruning guides, National Joint Utillities Group, advice leaflets etc, etc.

I guess your trying to put me down because my video's are better than yours:confused1:

Anyway to your last question If im paid to Crown raise a tree i will raise the crown to the specified height, not leaving it look like i couldn't be bothered to leave it looking aesthetically good. Lets be honest here trees will manage themselves it is us humans who think they need managing:biggrin:.

I guess if you do Crown raising like you preach thats why you mainly have videos of felling?

Im not going to bow down to you and your obviously self obsessed opinions about how i should work like you, next you'll ask me to buy a bucket truck and marry you.

I would like to ask you then if your all great and most excellent. Can you please post pictures or a video of one of YOUR raises not tell me im wrong then post a video of you leaving a stub.

I look forward to seeing your video as well as your published paper on how crown raising is wrong and all trees will die if we do it and then the world will collapse into a black hole created by my pruning cut.

All my love x x x x x x