Chain stopping on contact

spunch

Hi

I'm a newbie on the site. I'm a domestic arbie, lopping a few branches here and there and removing small trees. I use a Makita DCS340. I foolishly let the chain run dry for a few minutes, topped up the oil and went back to work. Pretty much straight away the chain stop - started when bringing it into contact with wood. No problem with the motor, just the chain. I took off the chain and guide, cleaned up and put everything back together but I still have the same problem. Is this likely to be due to a blunt chain [i've not had it sharpened in a year] or maybe a problem with the clutch.

I'd appreciate any views on this guys.

Thanks

Hi

I'm a newbie on the site. I'm a domestic arbie, lopping a few branches here and there and removing small trees. I use a Makita DCS340. I foolishly let the chain run dry for a few minutes, topped up the oil and went back to work. Pretty much straight away the chain stop - started when bringing it into contact with wood. No problem with the motor, just the chain. I took off the chain and guide, cleaned up and put everything back together but I still have the same problem. Is this likely to be due to a blunt chain [i've not had it sharpened in a year] or maybe a problem with the clutch.

Thanks

could be the blunt chain or the chain on to tight would be my guess :001_smile:

Hi

Thanks

Well done for your first post but as has been said you really need to have done all your basic certs before doing tree work. This will teach you proper technique and chainsaw maintenace.

Not sharpening a chain in a year? Most people using a saw regularly will be sharpening at least once a day.

See if you can find a local college near you.

The chain may be mega tight from running dry, take it off and soak in oil or diesel, check the nose sprocket on the bar - this may have seized up, if so, soak in oil diesel also and free it up. Can't see it being much else.

If you don't take the training route - make sure you wear a CE marked helmet with ear defenders and face guard, chaps/chainsaw trousers and steel toecap boots. Things can go real bad really quick with chainsaws - took a picture of a guy who took a chainsaw across the face to convince me the value of PPE.

Lots of good advice on this site.:thumbup1:

Thanks guys for all your advice and comments. I'm coming to the conclusion that it is the clutch.

Fair comments from all re training etc. I am wearing proper headgear/visor/muffs and shoes, so I'm part way there. I only use the chainsaw a few days a year, so a year without sharpening is not quite as bad as it sounds::001_smile: