Which of the 4x4's can pull 3.5t?

Simon Rotheram

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are looking at a new 4x4, I think a disco can tow a 3.5t trailer and possibly the 110's are there others?

Depends what you want it for.

I love my Discovery, tows really well. Others on the list include

Ford f150 etc..

Landcruiser amazon (only vx and amazon models)

Isuzu trooper (only lwb)

Nissan Patrol (only lwb)

Mitsubishi shogun (only lwb)

Defender (all of them)

Range rover (sport included I think)

Discovery (All models since they were new except the 2.0 petrol that came out ages ago)

Daihatsu fourtrak

Mercedes Gwagen (only lwb)

(some xc90, x5, q7 and other bits of tat like that can tow 3500kg too)

I loved my 90 but bought the discovery because it is much more comfy and I am doing a lot more motorway towing.

90s are great, but you do need to keep the speed down when heavily loaded. The disco tows much better at motorway speeds. The Isuzus are solid too, provided the valve seals been done.

If you can, get a vehicle with air suspension, the auto levelling when you put a trailer on is superb even if you are way overweight or loaded a bit wrong. Also being able to go from low to high ratio on a switch and not trying to double declutch the defender is great. I still smile every time I use it.

BTW I do like land rovers. so may be slightly biased. However I would also have an amazon tomorrow if needed, only slight problem with new ones is the tax. Discovery commercial is the way forward I think.

Cheers

Depends what you want it for.

I love my Discovery, tows really well. Others on the list include

Ford f150 etc..

Landcruiser amazon (only vx and amazon models)

Isuzu trooper (only lwb)

Nissan Patrol (only lwb)

Mitsubishi shogun (only lwb)

Defender (all of them)

Range rover (sport included I think)

Discovery (All models since they were new except the 2.0 petrol that came out ages ago)

Daihatsu fourtrak

Mercedes Gwagen (only lwb)

(some xc90, x5, q7 and other bits of tat like that can tow 3500kg too)

I loved my 90 but bought the discovery because it is much more comfy and I am doing a lot more motorway towing.

90s are great, but you do need to keep the speed down when heavily loaded. The disco tows much better at motorway speeds. The Isuzus are solid too, provided the valve seals been done.

If you can, get a vehicle with air suspension, the auto levelling when you put a trailer on is superb even if you are way overweight or loaded a bit wrong. Also being able to go from low to high ratio on a switch and not trying to double declutch the defender is great. I still smile every time I use it.

BTW I do like land rovers. so may be slightly biased. However I would also have an amazon tomorrow if needed, only slight problem with new ones is the tax. Discovery commercial is the way forward I think.

Cheers

I dont know about new shoguns but the old ones were only 2.8 tonne tow

according To Western Power's mechanics they have had lots of trouble with them ! i would accept that you get the odd problem but with the ammounts they buy and the fact that they do not buy anything less than top of the range defenders with the special chasis and all the guys driving them get a totorial from landrovers off road training team i cant see that it could be a one off

What known problems?

Mine has been fine, a few minor niggles but nothing serious. I have not heard anything bad from any other owners either.

I can only comment on vehicles that i have owned or known well, ie family or friends. If everyone stuck to this simple rule discussions like this would be a lot more constructive.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk