Navara MPG

Brushcutter

Jon,

Try looking on nissan-navava.net for advice on reseting the ECU. There are loads of threads and instruction on how to do it. The vehicle will go into learning mode and the first few miles set the ECU and injectors. (so don't go booting it or you'll have performance without economy. ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Rich. Slightly sadly I'll put my hands up to being a member there too. Had to laugh in a cruel way at the last post on that thread!

Will print off the instructions and give it a go: if I mess it up I'll scream 'warranty' and get it sorted!

• 1 month later...

Wow - it works! You could be forgiven for thinking that the instructions are a windup but mpg's gone up ~3.5 since doing resetting the ecu. I can't say I've noticed anything else - smoother running etc - but the vehicle's only done 3,000 miles so I'm chuffed with the improved economy.

Thanks a lot Rich.

• 10 months later...

Hello mate, you still getting good MPG from the NAV?

I have had mine in the workshop for the last few days. I mentioned the reset and my presently bad MPG. They had no idea what I was on about and looked at me like I was from Ulan Bator and speaking in Mongolian.

I'm on a manual. Jon - my first two or three tanks were pretty poor. I remember the first one being only about 27mpg. That said, I'd just stepped out of my old Audi 100 Quattro in the Navara, so it took a while to beat the Quattro driver into submission!

I think the biggest thing is that I very rarely brake. If coming to a roundabout, I come off the accelerator a long way before needing to come to a stop. Similarly for sliproads, junctions etc. Keeping on the gas and then braking late makes next to no difference to journey time but huge difference to mpg. Similarly for corners - I usually try to maintain a reasonable amount of speed going through rather than braking and then having to accelerate again.

If I just stuck to 56mph behind a lorry, I would get 40mpg. I would also get a clip around the ear from my very bored wife!

I do what you do, exactly that . I once drove my dads big audi estate from sussex to yorkshire. It has a little screen on trhe dash which lights up with " test brake" and wont go out till you do . I made it stay on for all of the M1 . What drives me bonkers is when following someone and watching thier brake lights come on when there is a slight bend in the road or there is another car comming toward them . Also those idiots that creep along at bang on 30mph in the restricted zone then stamp on the gas as soon as they come out of it and hard on the brakes just before the next one ! What about the person who comes up to an empty round about and stops there untill something comes round just to justify stopping in the first place ? and lastly 2 lanes up to the round about , 1 car in front of you and huge artic to your left . the lorry driver pulls onto the round about but the car in front waits cos they cant see if anything is comming cos the lorry is blocking their view ! do they think some thing is going to penitrate the huge lorry and hit them ? ? sorry rant over .:blushing:

I have had both manual & auto 06 plate Navara's, we still run both within the company. The auto has just hit 220,000K & the manual I run has just clocked 139,000 today with only general servicing, brakes & battery.

I get 29 out of mine but the auto is approx 10 less than that, anywhere between 300-400 miles to the tank even if towing all the time which I do.

The auto 06 plate has had Two wheel bearings only, I would buy another.

Hello mate, you still getting good MPG from the NAV?

I have had mine in the workshop for the last few days. I mentioned the reset and my presently bad MPG. They had no idea what I was on about and looked at me like I was from Ulan Bator and speaking in Mongolian.

Getting good mpg thanks; something to do with a PSI Powerbox! I did a 1400 mile round trip a couple of weeks back (Caterham > < Wick, Caithness) and averaged 37.5 for the trip. There's nothing like expensive fuel to retrain your right foot; 60-65mph all the way.

Back home now doing short journeys with logs/chip/hedgetrimmings and getting 28/29mpg - no complaints now.

How bad is your 'presently bad mpg'?

Jon

Jon, the OBC read 31.?? but I havent reset for quite a while and it is a mixture of driving. More to point, I used to get well over 500 miles per tank at one point. best was about 540 IIRC. Now I am lucky to get 450.

I was more astonished that the Nissan Tech's didnt have a scooby when I asked them if they reset the ECU. They have had it in twice now since xmas. I have asked them both times to check the MPG.

The fella came out today and said it is 31.?? MPG you just have to press the Status button and it tells you.

Monkey see, Monkey Do!!!

The reason it was in this time was a fox chewed through the ABS Sensor cable on the nearside rear. 350 to replace - OUCH!. I was a bit sceptical so asked to see the bite marks. I was in work clobber so got on the deck and crawled under the truck to have a look. A technician came over and said can I help you - so I told him what I was doing, he said OK got on the truck, Started the engine and tried to move it with me still under it! WTF! So I shouted at him and then when he was manouvering it onto the ramps he reversed it into a pillar.

How Speshul is that? There were 2 other technicians and myself shouting at him, plus a reverse camera!

IDIOT!

don't know anyone who gets more than 27-28mpg out of a navara,, and that's the "real" mpg... not the one that the computer tells you it's getting,

AT2's will knock a good 3mpg off you as well...

Do you reckon the AT2's really knock 3 Mpg off. I had them on my old nissan and the difference between them and the road tyres they replaced seemed negligible to me.