Navara MPG

Brushcutter

If you can get 35 mpg out of a d22 I would keep it. I bought a new one on 52 plate it did 25mpg it did not really matter as it spent most of its 18 months at the dealers luckily I kept my disco van and went back to it for 3 years after I sold the Nissan.

Too late its gone. I do miss it and its great fuel economy. I'm getting about 520 miles out the tank so around 31-33 mpg on AT2 with an open pickup bed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 57 plate, I generally get about 26mpg out of mine, drive at 55mph and I can get 38mpg, towing it's down to 17-19mpg! £101 to fill the tank the other day, I got 380 miles out that tank! It's a very thirsty truck, or it seems it when I fill it almost once a week!

Edited by Sciadopitys

How accurate do you reckon the onboard computers are? I've got a D40 with 750 miles on the clock's telling me I'm getting 31.4 mpg and I reckoned to be getting 25-26mpg from my 57 plate D40 when it went: I'm doing everything a gear higher with the new truck (more bhp these days). I am surprised to see folk apparently getting over 30mpg for anything more than the shortest periods of time: I just don't understand where mpgs well into the 30s come from.

I just don't understand where mpgs well into the 30s come from.

Cruising at 60mph on motorways/dual carriageways and 50mph on single carriageway roads. Never, ever using the brake, and coasting in gear as much as possible.

I think 38mpg is my theoretical best with my tyres. For any more I'd have to go to road tyres, and invest in a tirfor for when I get stuck every 5 minutes on forestry tracks! :laugh1:

Cruising at 60mph on motorways/dual carriageways and 50mph on single carriageway roads. Never, ever using the brake, and coasting in gear as much as possible.

Sure, but they're the 'for the shortest periods of time' I mentioned. An overall mpg of 30+ seems optimistic is my point.

Don't get me wrong; I have no problem with what my vehicle's giving me, I'm just surprised at some the mileages being quoted, that's all.

Perhaps I need to do some more careful calculations on my own truck...

Sure, but they're the 'for the shortest periods of time' I mentioned. An overall mpg of 30+ seems optimistic is my point.

Don't get me wrong; I have no problem with what my vehicle's giving me, I'm just surprised at some the mileages being quoted, that's all.

You might be surprised what is attainable. I'm now 202 miles into this tank, with quite a bit of light towing yesterday, and have 35.0 mpg showing. My colleague has a Hilux HL2 and got 36.7 mpg on a recent trip up to the Highlands.

You might be surprised what is attainable. I'm now 202 miles into this tank, with quite a bit of light towing yesterday, and have 35.0 mpg showing. My colleague has a Hilux HL2 and got 36.7 mpg on a recent trip up to the Highlands.

The Hilux d4d engine from about 2002 was good on fuel. We have a 1998 turbo and it does 23 mpg around town and less on a run. But its a good reliable truck for sending 2 cu meters 5 miles.

I do 25 miles each way to work half of that is dual carriageway/motorway the rest B roads all about a 40 limit. So with a bit of eco driving i get the best combination of roads for fuel economey. If i did a lot of driving around town i would get much less.

Also in 4wd low 1 driving around the wet boggy fields to some woods i work in then mpg does go down to about 18, then thats dragged up by the motorway trek there and back

I got to the end of my tank with 33.5mpg showing (some really heavy towing at the end dropped my mpg a bit).

What frustrates me is that the indicated mpg is always out by about 2mpg. Actual mpg for the tank was 31.3.

Either way, I'm doing an epic all the way to the south coast and back tow (circa 900-1000 miles) so we'll see what Mr Navara can do with 2.6 tonnes hanging off the back. One suspects about 24mpg!

i have a 54 plate D22 and a 57 plate D40 , i personally find that the d22 is much better suited to towing and the generall running about with 3-4 sets of climbing kit and chainsaws in the back and 3 -4 of us in the cab . but when it comes to long journeys the D40 winns hands down . 3 weeks ago i drove from truro- manchester and back in one day to do the 800 mile round trip i burnt just under a thank and 3/4 of fuel , i spent my time on the motorways at roughly 80-85mph and the onboard computer was pretty much spot on telling me that i was averaging 28.3 mpg , i have found that the most economical way of doing long trips like this is to use cruise controle , this was proven when last weekend me and the mrs went to Churth Streton in shropshire and back again with her driving and not using cruise controle 26.1 mpg !!!!! . Now was it the woman driver or the lack of cruise controle that burnt more fuel ?????????