Japan tsunami

button1803

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think its very upsetting for those affected in Japan!

The nuclear threat they keep going on about after the explosion like its three mile island or chernobyl ! the plant is of a different design and was on shut down the instant the quake hit and therefore the whole plannt is on cool down now doubt there will be fall out and radiation leakage but some things are important i feel !

1 they have moniterd the reactor frrom the outset and it was in decline therefore they know what it was doing,

2 they have asked for help imediatley from the rest of the world

3 they are activly evacuating the area at chernobyl it was 4 days after the event that they decided to evacuate !

4 the reactor design is different in chernobyl the accident was caused by a rushed and incompetent reactor control system test and the effects of the reactor control system design flaws !

lets just see how tthis pans out no one has given any true mesured figures of radiation or types of radioactive materials and there half life also the risk of fallout of said materials !

at least its in public eyes and we know about it imediatley unlike Chernobyl which the russians kept quiet the effects were noticed by the swedes and other baltic nations before the world was told by the ussr !

lets hope they have come through the worst of it ! :)

Thoughts to them all

seems there has been a explosion at the nuclear plant, radiation levels in the control room at the plant are reportedly 1000x normal levels while outside at the main entrance they are 8x normal levels. the japs are smart resourcfull people, if anyone can deal with situation I'm sure they will.

I am staggered that Japan has 55 nuke stations in an area prone to land damage. Latest news from "Reuters" is risk zone now 12 miles and radioactive cloud has been released and 6 more nuke stations at severe risk of meltdown. (These were built in the 1970's)

Wind direction is from the west accross the sea so the US should know within 48 hrs if there is problem.

I still remember being told to stay inside for 24hrs in the UK from the Ukraine accident and the Lake/Peak District/Pennines/West Scotland which had heavy rain still have areas where livestock/food products cannot be eaten.

Governments are often slow to inform the public.

Looks like some help is needed there!

the explosion may be many things, a chemical explosion, turbine hall etc, but it is, according to a british nuclear expert on the tele earlier, very unlikely that it is one of the reactor buildings, and unlikely that it is directly any kind of 'nuclear' explosion as the nuclear reaction is very unlikely to have been able to restart. more likely a hydrogen/oxygen explosion

with the description of the side of the building 'falling off' exposing a steel framework he suggested that it could not be the reactor building as it is shrouded in minimum 1.2m solid reinforced concrete and the description did not tally with the construction of such a building

hope he's right

Edited by ecolojim

This was very surreal watching the power of the tsunami which before it met land was traveling in the region of 500mph!!!! As it lost force it reached a height of a three story building!!! The death toll could of been much higher, thankfully the Japanese have and use tsunami warning systems but even still this was too large for the sea defenses. I feel for people who have natural disasters hit as i feel it just shows how little we can control our environment if nature decides to be nasty.

Absolutely dreadful - I was speechless (amazing for those who know me) when they showed footage of several poor folks trying to turn their cars/vans round when they saw the wall of filthy water coming at then across the fields.

We all feel, deep down, that we are a bit invincible and would always find a way out...

but what the #### would you do?

Gotta feel for those folks and hope the Japanese efficiency and international aid will reduce the suffering as much as poss. As for the nuke problems, just pray, cross fingers etc.

Imagine what it would have been like to be up a large tree when the earthquake hit!!

Thank goodness we're some way from the nearest tectonic join.