Nasty chipper accident

Billy

That would be ideal. Maybe the "FLIR" system in the police and search and rescue helicopters or similar and smaller. Everytime it detects a heat source it stops the feed rollers and you have to reset the system by the push of the forward feed controller.

sounds foolproof, but would there not be issues on hot sunny days or even from the engine? i would say that metal in the full blazing sun is hotter than body temperature. not that i've got any better suggestions...:confused1:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should woodchipper firms legally supply a decent wooden "Push Stick" for tree workers to use instead of arms/legs?

Could an infra red beam be mounted inside the hopper which would stop the machine if it found a human?

Terrible news but I am sure that 80% of accidents are human error often due to working long hours under stress thinking about bills and the additional 20% of accidents caused by defects on machines.

Machines should not be left running alone in case children appeared on the work site.:001_rolleyes:

I reckon you will find 99.9% of accidents are due to human error.

It is a terrible story and something we should all be made aware of from time to time I think.

I, like no doubt many other idiots have in the past had my hands way too close to the feed rollers pushing in stupid bits of twigs!!! You do sometimes have to look at what you are doing and mentally slap yourself around the face.

We now have a £2 piece of B&Q's finest 4x2 to use instead. One of the best bits of kit to use with a chipper imo.

I reckon you will find 99.9% of accidents are due to human error.

It is a terrible story and something we should all be made aware of from time to time I think.

I, like no doubt many other idiots have in the past had my hands way too close to the feed rollers pushing in stupid bits of twigs!!! You do sometimes have to look at what you are doing and mentally slap yourself around the face.

We now have a £2 piece of B&Q's finest 4x2 to use instead. One of the best bits of kit to use with a chipper imo.

We didnt spend anything on our pushy stick. A piece of heavily forked Hazel. Each time it gets chewed a bit or goes thru completely we just cut another one.

Company owners have a duty to protect workers, even if they must protect them from their own stupidity.

After training and farmilizing employees with equipment the owner must supervise and watch employees and correct as necessary.

I am willing to bet that this employee had already shown a number of bad habits that had not been dealt with. My favourite example is helmets. If you see somebody who consistently does not wear a helmet you can bet that they are taking short cuts and sidestepping safety procedures at every step.

Employers must demand a safety culture and dismiss those that do not participate in all aspects of the job safely. Take the early clues such as helmets and safety glasses and change behaviour or dismiss the person (and maybe save their legs or life). An accident like this is going to have an impact on many people.

When I used to teach advanced motorcycling there were always one or two riders that would not accept that their bad practices were dangerous on account that they had never had an accident. They were accidents waiting to happen. Despite training and supervision these bad practices are always going to creep in and while as a employer we have a duty of care and as mrtree says we should demand a safety culture, our employees have to take responsibility for their own and others safety in the work place.