Landrover overdrive opinions?

ben lightfoot

Hi all im interested in having an overdrive fitted to my td5 and most likely going for the roverdrive. So interested in opinions etc. What with the price of fuel i think its going to be the right move with the efficiency but also useful for towing although im quite pleased with the td5. Anyway enough ramblings and thanks in advance

I fitted a GKN overdrive to a 200 tdi 90 a few years ago it worked very well and the owner was well pleased with it. Another option you have is fitting transfer gears from a td5 disco to your transfer box which will help gear it up to improve cruising speed done that to a couple of my mates landies lately.

Hope this helps

As previously mentioned the Discovery transfer gears will increase every gear by about 15% .:thumbup1:

What tyre size are you on ?

Going up from 205/80 R 16 or 235/70 R 16 to 7.50 R 16 or 235/85 R 16 will give an increase of about 10% .:thumbup1:

The td5 likes to rev I would think last thing you need is an overdrive. Below 2000rpm very little power as others have said disco transfer box or bigger tyres.

Eeerrrmmmm, If anything Id have said that the overdrive is a better option to the disco transfer box as its permanently higher across all the gears while with the overdrive you keep the option of the low first and second. This is dependant on a level playing field in terms of cost though.

I have had disco transfer boxes in my 2 tdi defenders, but id have second thoughts with a TD5 and if you more often than not carry large loads. They need to be reved to make them go and if the gears are too high you'll burn out the clutch much quicker.

The fuel saving id say is debatable when you consider the cost of fitting a overdrive.

Id suggest you buy a cheap disco transferbox off ebay and try it and then go from there. At least you can sell it on if it doesnt work out and put the origional one back in.

H

Thanks for the replys guys the overdrive unit is pricey but when fuel is kicking around £1.40 a litre and i have managed over 2000miles in 5 weeks the benefits will happen quicker. Its only a 90 so weight is not an issue and i find the td5 quite good can cruise around 30mph in 5th and will pull away happily (bearing in mind i had a 300tdi that turned out had a hole in the intercooler that i didn't notice whoops). i prefer the idea of the overdrive as i can select or deselect the gear mostly going to be used at cruising at motorway speeds although as someone mentioned i could just see myself driving faster. Will be fiiting 235/85 next week and see how that works out thanks again for your input though guys