different types of chainsaw?

sandy

hi all, this is my first post (been lurking for a few weeks) so please go easy on me, i know you will as you all seem like an easy going bunch.

i have been researching the possibility of a career change as i currently work in an office which bores the living daylights out of me and i want to work outside as i prefer it. i have been looking in to arboriculture for a few weeks and i think i am nearly ready to take the plunge and do some tickets at college.

so i was wondering are there different types of saw for ground work climbing and what are they?

i have seen a few courses for cs30 / 31 etc and some require you to have your own saw, but i also want to get my climbing ticket soon after so will i need a different saw for that?

sorry if this is a daft question, its just i have seen words like 'top handed' mentioned on here before and i dont have a clue what it means.

Hi Sandy..... a career in Arb can be very rewarding and enjoyable. You get to spend your day outdoors, amongst like minded people, and you keep very very fit!

Its not all perfect though.... long days, bullish hard work, cuts from hand saws, frozen hands in winter, buckets of sweat and cramp in the summer, low pay (to start with), 10 minute lunch breaks, and a fair ammount of danger thrown in too!!

I really don't want to put you off...in fact i think its great you see arb as a new way of life! But if you can look past the fact that there are some niggles and downsides, then working with trees could be great for you!!

With regards to your question about saws.... eventually you will need a 'groundsaw' Stihl MS260 or similar (with a bit of experience and practice you can happily use a MS360 and suchlike), and when you get round to doing your climbing tickets and chainsaw from rope and harness course cs39, you will need to get a 'top handled' climbing saw (Stihl MS200t very commonplace).

The difference between a groundsaw and top handled saw is that the chainsaw for climbing is smaller, lighter, has a smaller 12" or 14" bar and therefore chain (which is designed not too 'kick back' as much as the larger pitch chains on some groundsaws).

The 'top handler' is attached to your climbing harness via a lanyard.

And the handle design allows you to use it in tight, awkward positions whilst your in the tree.

A groundsaw with the backhandle allows a more solid working base as you can get yourself into a more balanced and sterdy position.

Best of luck for the future!

Before you commit yourself I would try and get some experience of working with a tree surgery team to make sure you like the job.

If you still like the idea then you could do your CS30/CS31. Still liking it then do the climbing but my advice try before you buy

:biggrin:

i hear what your saying Rob, but i read on the forum that the best way to get a job in arb is to get your CS30/31 then start as a groundie?

i am sure i would enjoy this line of work as i like to get stuck in, especially where big brutal power tools are involved!

thanks for the encouragement dmclimber, glad to see your enjoying the work so far... hopefully i can follow in your footsteps soon and get out of this office

hi all, this is my first post (been lurking for a few weeks) so please go easy on me, i know you will as you all seem like an easy going bunch.

i have been researching the possibility of a career change as i currently work in an office which bores the living daylights out of me and i want to work outside as i prefer it. i have been looking in to arboriculture for a few weeks and i think i am nearly ready to take the plunge and do some tickets at college.

so i was wondering are there different types of saw for ground work climbing and what are they?

i have seen a few courses for cs30 / 31 etc and some require you to have your own saw, but i also want to get my climbing ticket soon after so will i need a different saw for that?

sorry if this is a daft question, its just i have seen words like 'top handed' mentioned on here before and i dont have a clue what it means.

welcoem mate,,, a top handled saw is a saw with the back handle on the top instead (look at the stihl 200t) these are for climbing use only here in the uk, a typical saw you would use for cs30/31 would be a stihl ms260/ms261 or a husky 346xp, these are profesional saws,