Longest splitter?

csservices

What sort of budget and what do you want to run it off?

there's plenty out there at around 1m stroke but 1.5m, 2m and even bigger are all possible on horizontals without too much hassle

As cheap as possible :laugh1: I'll run it off the tractor, was looking as I've got about 30 ton of poplar sat on the yard at the minute up to about 3ft diameter in seven foot lengths, I was thinking best way to dry it would probably be to split it into sort of 3ft billets and stack it like that so it gets more air round it, seems anything above about 2ft stroke suddenly jumps up to thousands of pounds :001_cool:

For the sort of diameter you're lookign at I'd reckon a horizontal would be most user friendly. Being Pop you shouldn't need much pressure really if you stick to 1m or so and it should still be reasonably quick compared to somethign bigger.

you should be able to get something half decent, tractor hydraulic and around 1m stroke for around £1500 - £2000 or so

I soured a Ram and had a mate build one for me, meter RAM with splitting head will take wood up to 700mm 27-28 inches. Machine has had some right hammer and is going strong, cost £980 in total, so would agree with one of the other posts get one made. We split wood as long as we can then use circular saws to log it, work a treat. £200 a day splitter saw and two operators :) The lad who made mine is keen to make more, but for piece of mind i would go to Alpine tractors and look at their splitters, have really good RAMS i am told!