Climate Change - Man made or not?

Is climate change man made or not?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Is climate change man made or not?

• Climate Change - Man made?
    • Climate Change - Natural event?
    • Positive effect on trees in the UK?
    • Negative effect on trees in the UK?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Im not sure if I made it clear that its 2 votes per person - the climate one & the neg or pos affect the second one!

I just saw that some people only had voted on the climate issue, so I thought I'd not made it clear enough...

Interesting so far the way its going, I wonder how its gonna look like tomorrow evening!

Good night all,

Tiago

Since day one the world has heated and cooled drastically. The UK was once in the Carribean, it has been under a mile thick ice sheet, it has been desert and rainforest. OK, so man may be contributing to the warming of the earth but it's nothing new. Mankind, animals and trees will need to adapt or die. That's the blunt truth of it I think.
i agree,i read a good book on it recently,the revenge of gaia by scientist james lovelock,i recommend it to all you on the fence

That day ia about 3- 400 years from now assuming we continue to consume at our curent rate.

Tom,

My impression is that day is going to be a bit earlier than what you suggest, because its not going to stay at the current rate. Surelly it will grow faster and faster with China and India getting richer by the day.... I think maximum 200 years if they dont find more or maybe even less, possibly still in our life time.

T

As the oil price rises the amount we have grows, they can open old Wells that had become inviable when oil was only $90 a barrel, and there is oil sand which is very costly to process but if the price is high it worth doing.

I don't see us running out any time soon.

planting trees in artic tundras where there should only be snow that reflects heat and the same forrests creating a new micro climate that thaws out frozen bogs and releasing methane,also cutting down the rain forrests that prevent and keep direct heat off the equator are all man made and must be having effect on climate change surely

I recon we have just sped up a natural process, not just through using fossil fuels but through activities such as draining blanket bog, which are vital to be restored, Englands blanket bogs hold more carbon than all the forests of the UK and France put together and nearly including germany as well,

Im sorry to say this but tree planting to sequest carbon is a load of rubbish, and a con, the same tree can be sold each year for the first ten years and then what happens when they are thinned, fell to waste releases all the carbon, firewood releases less than sequestered but not much and therefore if burnt the tree hasnt really served any benefit at combatting climate change. compared to wetland creation especially moorlands where the carbon is locked up for 1000's of years if not more if its functioning correctly.

roll on artic winters, and tropical summers, (drys logs quicker and increases demand as well)

in releation to trees it may be positive or negative, it depends on what you view the two options as, if maintaining the natural uk flora is positive then its a negative, but like wise a shift in species may be viewed as beneficial by some.

Im sorry to say this but tree planting to sequest carbon is a load of rubbish, and a con, .

I totally agree with that. I found it a bit depressing, too, that just about the first thing they thought of was ways to trade and speculate on carbon, rather than working on the actual problem of mankind's contribution to climate change. :banghead: