V.T.A symptoms "the chatty trees"

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between Rayner and Boddys work on CODIT, lonsdales thoughts on Segmentation of trees and Matthecks vision of how and why forces do what they do to trees I am starting to understand the reason why those three works all tie together, and its fascinating to think about. It explains an awful lot about the progression of decays, why trees fail at the points they do etc.

I'll look forward to this. Listening to Claus on Wednesday started to join the dots, so to speak, in so many areas. Keep it up Tony :thumbup1:

I'll look forward to this. Listening to Claus on Wednesday started to join the dots, so to speak, in so many areas. Keep it up Tony :thumbup1:

I have no doubt that the art and science is, thanks to the work of a few getting to a very interesting point in the progression of arboriculture. The picture will never be 100% complete, but were getting close to having a canvas on which to paint a really great picture of it all.

Gradually disciplines that first seemed so fringe or removed are coming closer and closer together, thread by thread the tapestry is coming together.:001_cool:

• 1 month later...

This thread went a bit quiet.. But I've reading, and I've been looking.. I've known about this Dawn Redwood for a while and always admired it but never thought too much about what caused it to grow like this.. The site is next to a netball court, it obvisouly has been climbed alot (me included), and some compaction from foot traffic. It's not being overly suppressed by the surrounding trees, but possibly was at some stage? What does it's body language tell us, other than it has been pruned poorly!?

<a href=metaseq1.jpg' alt='metaseq1.jpg'>

metaseq2.jpg

Appologies for the quality, the lighting was shart.

This thread went a bit quiet.. But I've reading, and I've been looking.. I've known about this Dawn Redwood for a while and always admired it but never thought too much about what caused it to grow like this.. The site is next to a netball court, it obvisouly has been climbed alot (me included), and some compaction from foot traffic. It's not being overly suppressed by the surrounding trees, but possibly was at some stage? What does it's body language tell us, other than it has been pruned poorly!?

<a href=metaseq1.jpg' alt='metaseq1.jpg'>

metaseq2.jpg

Appologies for the quality, the lighting was shart.

I will stick my two pennies worth in after others ahve had a chance to think on it. interesting tree really, not typical form in the crown architecture:001_cool:

• 2 weeks later...

had a look at this Norway Maple today, enlarged base with epicormics. Not the best pics i'm afraid, doesn't really convey the amount of reaction wood in this area.

was having a think about what could be going on here, is it that the excessive wood production in this area along with the epicormic could suggest some sort of basal/heartwood dis-function..or was it originally planted incorrectly..or is it simple soil erosion:confused1:

resident (who has lived there for 44 years) reckons the tree has always sat proud/raised of its planting pit.

unfortunately pics of the whole tree weren't clear so only have a couple of the base. tree has been reduced in the past but otherwise appears healthy and happy.

just thought i'd get other peoples opinions on what this trees body language is saying

100_2133.jpg.dfedf149a7f8a2944c5ba1df77c16d18.jpg

100_2132.jpg.da0614138243e7bf7b49b06659a2b094.jpg

had a look at this Norway Maple today, enlarged base with epicormics. Not the best pics i'm afraid, doesn't really convey the amount of reaction wood in this area.

was having a think about what could be going on here, is it that the excessive wood production in this area along with the epicormic could suggest some sort of basal/heartwood dis-function..or was it originally planted incorrectly..or is it simple soil erosion:confused1:

resident (who has lived there for 44 years) reckons the tree has always sat proud/raised of its planting pit.

unfortunately pics of the whole tree weren't clear so only have a couple of the base. tree has been reduced in the past but otherwise appears healthy and happy.

just thought i'd get other peoples opinions on what this trees body language is saying

There is nothing that says adaption here, but suckers do suggest root damage

Looks pretty normal to me, a bit of lawn mower damage and some basal suckers. Did you probe around the base/root flare?

Tony, would you care to enlighten me as to your thoughts on the Dawn Redwood post earlier on?

that tree is a weird one for sure, I dont know how or why the leaders went awol, hard to say withought looking up close, as for the girth, removal of low branches as forced sapflow around the stubs hence the extreme fluted trunk.

Its a cracking tree, someone should collar cut the stubs if they havent produced shoots

Hmm, interesting, not the response I expected.. Do you really think that 3 stubs could cause such an unusual trunk flare? I would have thought that they wouldn't have been pruned all that long ago, else they would have sprouted, or decayed, no?