V.T.A symptoms "the chatty trees"

Spent the day at Chelsea flower show, walking through battersea park was a little distracting to say the least, a coffee shop came into view just as I spotted this Plane, so I sent the Mrs in for a couple while I used the time to shoot this awesome tree.

More buckles and kinks than you could shake a stick at!

Ganoderma applanatum or australe suspect the latter, obviously de lignifying and obviously well into the core of the first order branches, see the extending lines of buckles. Awesome

also note smoothness of upper on the lowest limb, this is not unusual on planes with long extending limbs, its one of the key ways in for massaria after all (shallow bark and high cellulose content, low presence of localised carb deposition for stress adaptations, hence any soft rot in this highly stressed zone leads to rapid failure) but I feel in this instance it is being exasperated by internal decay.

597669381d9e4_chelsea2014007.jpg.c582badaa357750adce2e868b7506be1.jpg

597669381fcbe_chelsea2014019.jpg.76cc5eab67df8e484a6f1503908cf998.jpg

597669382269c_chelsea2014016.jpg.de3163c7bdd4508300387f1326af7687.jpg

5976693824e99_chelsea2014018.jpg.706597d1cb93508cd9d2bc84cf5eb4e1.jpg

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So 23 hours after that post 99 views, posted because I had a personal request, several in fact to "keep up my arbtalk" Just for those that value (god knows why) I do do this for arb, for YOU, I get a little out of it, ima sharing caring kind of guy, so its in my nature. However, I get a lot of flack around the place and its only those that are genuinely interested that make it worth while, otherwise its just a load of effort for just a load of grief.

So if you enjoy the posts, or better still have a question, an argument against what i say (I am totaly fallable!, frequently in fact!) please for petes sake pipe up and say something, cos if its just a case of hearing from the trolls and the haters, I really cant be asked!

Which is why for those that said so in person i have gone off the boil so to speak, I aint hanging out here for the jonny vines, if you get my drift.

So 23 hours after that post 99 views, posted because I had a personal request, several in fact to "keep up my arbtalk" Just for those that value (god knows why) I do do this for arb, for YOU, I get a little out of it, ima sharing caring kind of guy, so its in my nature. However, I get a lot of flack around the place and its only those that are genuinely interested that make it worth while, otherwise its just a load of effort for just a load of grief.

So if you enjoy the posts, or better still have a question, an argument against what i say (I am totaly fallable!, frequently in fact!) please for petes sake pipe up and say something, cos if its just a case of hearing from the trolls and the haters, I really cant be asked!

Which is why for those that said so in person i have gone off the boil so to speak, I aint hanging out here for the jonny vines, if you get my drift.

I look forward to your posts,and although I am not one for responding regularly,I look at Arbtalk daily.Your posts and threads are up there with the best of them in term of information and valid opinion.Alternative views are what keeps things interesting,and not enough of the world thinks like you do.

You will always be up against it for thinking like a dryad,you know that.

it seems to me you have an empathy with trees that many of us dream of,and that has come from much dedication.Dont lose faith beacause of the blinkered

opinions of a few or the lack of response to a post,I am sure Im one of many to realise the value of your contributions.:thumbup1:

I look forward to your posts,and although I am not one for responding regularly,I look at Arbtalk daily.Your posts and threads are up there with the best of them in term of information and valid opinion.Alternative views are what keeps things interesting,and not enough of the world thinks like you do.

You will always be up against it for thinking like a dryad,you know that.

it seems to me you have an empathy with trees that many of us dream of,and that has come from much dedication.Dont lose faith beacause of the blinkered

opinions of a few or the lack of response to a post,I am sure Im one of many to realise the value of your contributions.:thumbup1:

that will keep me going for a few months!:thumbup1:

I might not reply to all your posts, or Davids, such as the current one on vessel size, as they require more thought and time than I have at the moment to reply (as for the qtra threads at the moment I don't even have time to try and grasp the numbers bouncing between the big brains!). However I have noticed over the last couple of weeks you've been posting more, and with a bit more detail - a bit like the Hamadryad I remember from when I joined arbtalk around 2011ish. It hasn't gone unnoticed or unappreciated. And as for certain members, that ignore button in your settings can make arbtalk a much nicer place! :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

I might not reply to all your posts, or Davids, such as the current one on vessel size, as they require more thought and time than I have at the moment to reply (as for the qtra threads at the moment I don't even have time to try and grasp the numbers bouncing between the big brains!). However I have noticed over the last couple of weeks you've been posting more, and with a bit more detail - a bit like the Hamadryad I remember from when I joined arbtalk around 2011ish. It hasn't gone unnoticed or unappreciated. And as for certain members, that ignore button in your settings can make arbtalk a much nicer place! :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

Good.Then I'm glad I responded.:001_smile:

Its not that I need the attention or anything, I really aint that kinda guy, its just really tough when all you seem to hear is crap, even if its from one or two individuals. You start feeling like you're just paddling up stream in a treacle tart and that your energy and time is better off spent where its of more constructive value!

There is something I want to talk about, express, to think aloud about, im just jeeing myself up for the torrent of abuse! That Mattheck seminar the other day took a while to sink in as I thought I hadnt gained that much as a lot was old ground, but it has sent my mind in motion.

Between Rayner and Boddys work on CODIT, lonsdales thoughts on Segmentation of trees and Matthecks vision of how and why forces do what they do to trees I am starting to understand the reason why those three works all tie together, and its fascinating to think about. It explains an awful lot about the progression of decays, why trees fail at the points they do etc.

I just need to mull over it all and do a little background work select the right images, a lot of time, but writing these things is as constructive for my learning as it is anyone elses.....

You're in the consistent top 5 posters in here. The rankings of which vary day by day.

I get a lot of flack around the place and its only those that are genuinely interested that make it worth while, otherwise its just a load of effort for just a load of grief.

= a microcosm of life. The noise comes from a vocal minority: don't worry about them, you have the support of the silent majority.

In tree terms you exist on a different plane to me but I'm sure you know what you're on about. Carry on!:thumbup1: