tips on rigging

Ross Beaumont

best tips- read the books (art and science of rigging etc) watch other people, do a course (i've recently done the rigging course with treevolution and that really opened my eyes.

but i think the best advice i was given was "unless your certain you can do it and do it safely, the get someone else to do it":001_tongue:

oh, 1 more, get a GRCS, there the mutts bits

• 1 month later...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:dito:[/quote

tell your groundie to tie a figure eight in onyour rope before pulling it up and it wil never come through pulley.

Learn how to rig from the ground first...can be fast as hell climber but without an efficent team on ground you will be hanging around. groundie and climber should work in sync.

art and science of rigging book.

If you're in any doubt at all about the bit you're going to rope off, do it smaller.

Always check the angles between the lowering rope top point and the tie off point. If you've got it wrong, the limb or branch can swing round towards you instead of away. Another way of putting it is to make sure you're not in the wrong place.

Communication with ground crew is crucial.

Double check EVERYTHING before you cut.

i agree i will pay a groundy who can kick ass on the rigging as much as a climber on the jobs where i need good rigging, as a climber all you do is tie on the piece cut it (well its a bit more tricky than that) but the grounds man has to know how to control the piece (helps if the climbers says how he wants it as well (hold the hight and then let it run etc), as well as knowing that he or she needs to get the rope up to you asap so you can start settin up the next piece. One of the hardest things is judging the weight, and how many wraps on what ever you are using, different ropes and capstans bollards etc create different amounts of friction so it takes a while to get used to different kit. When i'm on the gorund i have no issue of letting go of the rope all together when i want it to run - i.e youve held it so its swung away from the obstical and its over your drop zone, let it fall, its quick and smooth and stops stuff swinging back - i love rigging - the art and science is top, and like every one here keeps saying start small, and keep an eye on what can go wrong, check to see if there is an escape route and if applicable i dont use a secondary strop so i can jump out of the way if it all goes tits up, and when your groundy says he is ready just double check he actually is, i will mention no names but in case you read this mr x i mean you the ass head who said he was ready whilst holding a slack rope and texting on his phone

also another neat trick is ( i cant rember what its called but i shall describe the best i can) tie a marlin spike but up side down if you get me, tie it some way along the rope when its about to be pulled up, that way the knot will sit in the pulley stopping it from running through and because its tied part way alon there is a nice long tail which is easier to reach and means you dont have to haul right back up, and to untie the knot you just have to pull down on the end of the rope.... Also teach your groundy how to send up the kit when you are setting up - i like it ready assembled so i can just tie on the block and go,

also another neat trick is ( i cant rember what its called but i shall describe the best i can) tie a marlin spike but up side down if you get me, tie it some way along the rope when its about to be pulled up, that way the knot will sit in the pulley stopping it from running through and because its tied part way alon there is a nice long tail which is easier to reach and means you dont have to haul right back up, and to untie the knot you just have to pull down on the end of the rope.... Also teach your groundy how to send up the kit when you are setting up - i like it ready assembled so i can just tie on the block and go,

Even better, tie two marlin spikes incase the weight of the rope somehow pops the first one. :thumbup: takes about 20 seconds but can save 20 minutes.