Yew timber- value

doobin

• 12 years later...

I have some cut and seasoned yew for sale. The two yew chunks measure 1.  13 inches diameter x 30 inches high,  2. 10 inches diameter x 32 inches high.  They are both fully seasoned and have no cracks.  I'm thinking £100 for the 2 and if you are on one of my routes up/down/across the country, could deliver free. 

DSCF9631.JPG

DSCF9627.JPG

DSCF9626.JPG

DSCF9625.JPG

DSCF9631.JPG

DSCF9631.JPG

DSCF9634.JPG

DSCF9632.JPG

DSCF9629.JPG

DSCF9629.JPG

DSCF9628.JPG

8 hours ago, LasRAin2 said:

I have some cut and seasoned yew for sale. The two yew chunks measure 1.  13 inches diameter x 30 inches high,  2. 10 inches diameter x 32 inches high.  They are both fully seasoned and have no cracks.  I'm thinking £100 for the 2 and if you are on one of my routes up/down/across the country, could deliver free. 

I'm thinking that price is a bit optimistic.

For a wood turner they'd have to produce products retailing at about £300 to make a profit (£100 cost, less their time, 10 hours? and add on 1/2 extra for retailers profit).

For planks, not a lot of wood in there.

For firewood.... probably have to give it away

EDIT:

Got some time to add some details to my earlier answer:

The shorter log, is not 1 log, it is 3. The black ellipse for a side branch / log and the red ellipse for a lengthways split. These 13" diameter breaks down to 1 off about 6" diameter, 1 off about 4" diameter and taking into consideration the side branch coming off it, the last one is about 5" diameter.

Blue circle, the ends of this log has 3 or 4 marks on it which might indicate a weak spot, once it has been sliced to useable lengths and the support of the wood around it will spit.

Might be wrong - I don't work a lot of wood but split a fair bit by hand for firewood and this is how I would look at the log. Split along the red circle, split off the black side branch, and the last one hit at the perceived weak spots. Usually quite good at spotting the weak areas these days.

image.png.5c21700470c8164ab747a97cd640ddf1.png

Edited by Steven P

3 hours ago, LasRAin2 said:

DSCF9631.JPG

DSCF9627.JPG

DSCF9626.JPG

DSCF9625.JPG

DSCF9631.JPG

DSCF9631.JPG

DSCF9634.JPG

DSCF9632.JPG

DSCF9629.JPG

DSCF9629.JPG

DSCF9628.JPG

Whereabouts are you roughly? Ta

9 hours ago, LasRAin2 said:

DSCF9631.JPG

DSCF9627.JPG

DSCF9626.JPG

DSCF9625.JPG

DSCF9631.JPG

DSCF9631.JPG

DSCF9634.JPG

DSCF9632.JPG

DSCF9629.JPG

DSCF9629.JPG

DSCF9628.JPG

Hi,  Thanks so much for the info.  I know this wood is quite beautiful when turned etc., and it does take SO long to grow to this size - it just seems such a pity to burn it as fire wood - though I have burnt some smaller bits and boy does it give out heat.  Thanks to you all

8 hours ago, LasRAin2 said:

it just seems such a pity to burn it as fire wood

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

English Green (Unseasoned) Yew woodturning log blanks. Two lengths available - 200 and 300mm. We're based in Devon and our timber is sourced locally whenever possible. All end grain...

• Thanks 1