bad groundsmen

vduben

I neglected to tie on the lump of pine limb I was lowering over a garage. The lowering rope was still resting in the block on a stopper knot. I signalled for the groundies approval and he gave me thumbs up. I was tired and in a hurry and he was blind or maybe I was just a chump but I only made that mistake once. The owner of the garage was cool as the lump fell thru the corragate sheet roof onto her winters logs pile. I just said " you can have that one on the house".

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S'funny, when things go wrong it's always someone elses fault!! As far as most aerial work goes, its the CLIMBER who makes the calls, he is responsible for what happens and when. I dont think this is so much about bad groundsmen, more about bad teamwork, bad communication, bad judgement and a bad call. Then again, you do get some with a couple of years experience who think they know it all.

So true that, although you mention teamwork, o.k its the climber who calls the shots, but a good groundie is invaluble. With my few years experience I always take note of what people tell me on the ground, I like the input as occasionally they can see something i've missed or teach me something new.

Really good groundies seem rare, the reason for this i'm not sure, maybe just my experience of tree work.

The best groundies in rigging situations I think are those who climb as well.

Really good groundies seem rare, the reason for this i'm not sure, maybe just my experience of tree work.

QUOTE]

I can tell you why good groundies are rare, there is bugger all incentive for most of them, paid crap money (on the whole) treated like crap by prima donna climbers who think they are gods gift, if they ask for more training, the bosses cant seem to justify it. Saying that it IS possible to be good at what you do, take a pride in your work, read,read,read. Watch closely and learn. Learn to tie bowlines, and various other knots and hitches, and if you are really fortunate, you might just improve yourself.

I get really ticked off with the attitude that groundies are shite, we all work out in the wind and rain, in the mud and slime TOGETHER!! Try working together. if your groundy dont understand, then help him/her/it. Climbers want respect for what they do, then respect the poor sod on the ground too, he's the one untangling your ropes for the umpteenth time because you dropped a pile of limbs onto it, and he'll be the one clearing the mess up long after you've come down from the tree. Now STOP bitching about each other and post about something sensible:playingball:

Dam right a good climber makes a good groundie they appreciate how tricky it is up there sometimes and try to help . Worked with groundies who cant even tie a running bowline or a sheet bend to send up ropes ,winds me up trying to untie a lasher knot ....moan over !!!!

hell yeah, some just tie a huge knot and send it up, they dnt realise how hard sometimes it is to undo them at the top of a tree, i met a guy once who sums these people in one sentence,(in a sarcastic manner) if you cant tie knots tie lots!!!!! hehe knots are invalueable, i take time to show groundies these few knots, some listen some think they know better but i know who ill want tieing a saw on or a pulling rope

I can tell you why good groundies are rare, there is bugger all incentive for most of them, paid crap money (on the whole) treated like crap by prima donna climbers who think they are gods gift, if they ask for more training, the bosses cant seem to justify it. Saying that it IS possible to be good at what you do, take a pride in your work, read,read,read. Watch closely and learn. Learn to tie bowlines, and various other knots and hitches, and if you are really fortunate, you might just improve yourself.

I get really ticked off with the attitude that groundies are shite, we all work out in the wind and rain, in the mud and slime TOGETHER!! Try working together. if your groundy dont understand, then help him/her/it. Climbers want respect for what they do, then respect the poor sod on the ground too, he's the one untangling your ropes for the umpteenth time because you dropped a pile of limbs onto it, and he'll be the one clearing the mess up long after you've come down from the tree. Now STOP bitching about each other and post about something sensible:playingball:

I find the worst groundies i have seem to end up being the prima donna F8ck wit climbers who have stupid little tantrums when they make stupid decisions and then blame there groundys ....mainly I think this is becouse they think dragging brush is above them so after 3 months mummy and daddy pay for them to go to college and they think they have become john turnbull or somthing ,then when they f*** up take it out on some poor fool who had the misfortune to be there groundy that day.......I think we should start a thread an ode to the grounds man thread....... how much crap some groundies have to put up with,some of the ways ive seen people been treated is ****ing digusting,by there bosses and by up his own arse I think im god when im wering my harness pricks...... sorry about the rant

goodpoints matty but what if the groundies are like the silly little climbers your on about, ive come across a few and they wont listen to you because like the climber they think they are god, i will admit i hate dragging, i am paid to climb, if i wanted to drag i wouldnt of bothered with college and all the money i have spent on kit etc.. but as work goes like today if they want me to drag for the same money them im up for it....

I never tell my groundies how many wraps to take. thats their job. I point out what i'm taking or roughly how big it is then they do their job.

Having said that we still use 16mm and 24mm 3 strand. used pullys and topping strops a few time but its been a rare case i've not managed to out think the situation.

Jamie

For those of you that dont me, by the way, I am a "professional" groundy, thats how I earn my money. I rake, drag, feed chippers, tie knots, prune, lower blah blah blah. The thing is I love my job. I hate it when people always diss the groundies. Now and again it has been known for me to venture (albeit slowly) into the canopy, but basically, fundamentally, I am a groundy. :smokin: