unimog

tree fella

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The law says you can run on red if the chip is in a trailer not in a chip box. That applies to all vehicles registered as tractors. However, crop sprayers are allowed to carry goods and run on red, because they're registered as agricultural machines, not tractors. There's nothing stopping you from registering a mog as an agricultural machine.

The law says you can run on red if the chip is in a trailer not in a chip box. That applies to all vehicles registered as tractors. However, crop sprayers are allowed to carry goods and run on red, because they're registered as agricultural machines, not tractors. There's nothing stopping you from registering a mog as an agricultural machine.

agricultural machines:

Limited use vehicles only have a 1.5km range and only when passing between different areas of land occupied by the same person.

Agricultural engine cannot be used on the road for any other purpose than going to or from the site of agricultural operation BUT they may not carry any load or tow anything other than e.g. a header on a trailer as with combine harvester, beet harvester etc or a browser in the case of e.g. self propelled crop sprayer.

As far as I am aware there is absolutely NOTHING in HMRC notice 75 subsection 8 (excepted vehicles) or 10 (Appendix) which prohibits tractors form carrying load wile using red diesel

If load being superimposed on an agri tractor was illegal (as it is for locomotives) then you would be prohibited from towing unbalanced trailers which include muck spreaders and trailed sprayers, you wouldn’t be able to use 3pt mounted sprayers on the road unless they were empty, you wouldn’t be able to carry granular fertiliser in fertiliser speeders or a long list of other items and of course there would have been no point in fastracs having a load platform for sprayers etc etc etc.

Section 1 was revised in 2008. You can't carry a load on the vehicle for arboricultural operations, but you can carry tools. You can still chip into a trailer. A vehicle registered as an agricultural machine can be used for forestry operations without the 1.5km limit. It can also carry a load. There is a difference between a draw bar putting a load down from a trailer and a load on a vehicle.

Section 1 was revised in 2008. You can't carry a load on the vehicle for arboricultural operations, but you can carry tools. You can still chip into a trailer. A vehicle registered as an agricultural machine can be used for forestry operations without the 1.5km limit. It can also carry a load. There is a difference between a draw bar putting a load down from a trailer and a load on a vehicle.

Are you not in Ireland? in which case if its Northern Ireland though its UK based laws there are some differences as statutes (laws) are generally done specifically relating to “Northern Ireland” or for the UK as a whole and well southern Ireland (ROI) is self governing and makes its own laws like it has done for many years.

e.g. Northern Ireland has its own specific construction and use regulations that have slight differences to the construction and use regulations used in the rest of the UK relating to agricultural vehicles.

As for here agricultural, horticultural and forestry vehicles have NO distinction made between them so the if the 1.5km limit applies or the carrying of load is prohibited then it applies equally to all regardless of if they are used in either agricultural, horticultural or forestry use.

Here load imposed on a vehicle is load imposed on a vehicle, there is little difference between woodchip in a chip box imposing load, or woodchip in a trailer imposing load via the tow hitch or for that mater woodchip in a box in the 3pt linkage, it is all imposed load from woodchip which the “tractor” is carrying to a lesser or greater degree.

“agricultural machine” is a grouping of machines which include tractors, agri engines, Limited use vehicles (agri), etc etc all of which will say “agricultural machine” on the tax disk, its only when you look at the logbook that you get the subtype of “agricultural machine” it is, I.e. agri tractor, agri engine and so on.

Last point, arboriculture is not forestry its technically horticulture I.e. glorified gardening on big plants, only when you start using the timber produced from arboriculture as per you would for wood produced from forestry dose it actually become nearer forestry than horticulture, also the Confederation of Forest Industries has disavowed arboriculture as being anything to do with forestry & both the National Farmers Union & National Association of Agricultural Contractors have disavowed arboriculture as being anything to do with agricultural activity and no one from the horticulture user groups was part of the Memorandum of Agreement in respect of the use of agricultural vehicles on the road as outlined in HMRC notice 75 - section 10 (Appendix)

Edited by b101uk

is there any law on ag vehicles ie mogs tractors and passengers being carried not sure so thought id ask the question

I haven’t seen a law that prohibits passengers in tractors on proper seats and with respect to tractor driving tests it says if it has a passenger seat then examiner will accompany you, that said I would make sure your insurance specifically covers passengers in the tractor on proper seats, I know my NFU cover dose.

Felling Trees is Forestry, Pruning trees is horticulture / arboriculture (Or was According to CIS).

There is definitely a distinction made between agriculture and forestry. 1.5km doesn't apply to Forestry. As you rightly point out I don't live in the UK, so I doesn't effect me. I have ran a mog in the uk for a good few years though. Still at the moment I can run my mog on Green without any limits. Not sure how long that's going to last.