Farm Land Trees

Scouse Lee

Hi guys, I've just moved from a village that in the main was a designated conservation area, (so most jobs had to have an application filed with the local council), to a place in the middle of nothing but farm land. This got me thinking about the regulations regarding tree/hedge work on farms, everywhere I look hedges have been flailed or layed, & trees seem to just get knocked down here there & everywhere. I know you have to apply to the Forestry Commission to fell areas of woodland etc. but what about the odd tree or two?

Cheers

Lee

cheers guys, I've sent e-mails to the local tree officer & the forestry commission, mainly to introduce myself & establish a point of contact. T/0 hasn't got back yet but forestry commission tell me they are the ones who say if a tree can be felled or not,(they've told me about the 5 cubic metres per quarter thing), does this mean I don't involve the council here or still have to in case they decide the tree should be saved, even if it's in a field, sorry guys this has just confused me a tad. While I'm on I've been asked to take a tree down,(on the edge of a field as it happens), but there are electric & telephone wires running through the branches, I've got no probs that a climber will be able to clear the few branches that need doing 1st then we can fell the tree but do I need to have the electricity board turn the power off, the wires are only going through the last foot of the branches & there's nothing there that makes me worried, can't see anything snagging up tbh and don't see any problems but of course I suppose you never know.

cheers

Crikey Lee....

Farmers tend to be a bit of a law unto themselves, and as has been mentioned, do need clearance for large machinery. If not in a conservation area or TPO'd. then there arent THAT many restrictions.

There are pretty stringent rules regarding working near powerlines, suffice to say you oughtn't be doing that work!!

well it does make more sense to have them turn it off tommer, tbh I've not had to work on trees near lines b4,(well I've worked for other firms doing it & know they've just gone ahead,I don't climb so I'm not that clued up on it), so I trawled thru the site looking for other posts on the subject & noticed a few people who have said as long as the lines have a protective outer on then they would just do the job BUT I have to say I would rather not send anyone up to do it while they are live, the guy says he has to have the job done next week & that he has another guy who will do it if I can't. Well that's fair enough I suppose he'll have to let the other guy do it & suffer any consequences arising.:thumbup1:

well it does make more sense to have them turn it off tommer, tbh I've not had to work on trees near lines b4,(well I've worked for other firms doing it & know they've just gone ahead,I don't climb so I'm not that clued up on it), so I trawled thru the site looking for other posts on the subject & noticed a few people who have said as long as the lines have a protective outer on then they would just do the job BUT I have to say I would rather not send anyone up to do it while they are live, the guy says he has to have the job done next week & that he has another guy who will do it if I can't. Well that's fair enough I suppose he'll have to let the other guy do it & suffer any consequences arising.:thumbup1:

Lets just hope the consequences arent some poor climber being fried.:scared1:

Good on you for not taking the job on when your not sure about whats involved with the lines.:thumbup1:

Be interesting to see the outcome of the hedge/tree situation.

I would of thought that certain hedges would be protected and trees can still come under TPO.

May not be the best thing to start having a go at the locals just yet though.:001_smile:

the guy says he has to have the job done next week & that he has another guy who will do it if I can't. Well that's fair enough I suppose he'll have to let the other guy do it & suffer any consequences arising.:thumbup1:

TBH lee Let the other guy do it Its your life or the climbers life at the end of the day If you woudent go up there why would you send some one else.There will be other jobs You don't take chances where things could go badly wrong.

You could go along and watch to see how the other tree firm goes about it then you would be a bit more clued up

Any hedge that is on agricultural land and you want to cut it down or do major adjustments to then you need to get an application in. I have uploaded some notes for you and others that may need this. Trees are treated as in any other situation, ie if in conservation, tpo or sssi etc certain forms need to be filled in.

Hedgerows Regulations Your Questions Answered(2).pdf