Felling Large Holm Oak

Ross Smith

I suspect that the clients were more worried about the tree failing, and accepted that the hedge may get damaged. To make a tree safe, ie get it down, to avoid expensive property damage, or a human injury, has to be top priority. Yes there are always alternatives, whether it climb and strip out, using a mewp, or straight fell, but this call has to be made by those on site, at the time of the call out. Call out work is probably the most dangerous we do, and nine times out of ten the safer option is to just drop the tree, then work on it in comparative safety. Its easy to tear someone apart after the event, sitting in the comfort of our homes, on a still summers evening. Just think of those hairy call outs we've all had, and think to yourself, how would you have done it any safer.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just think of those hairy call outs we've all had, and think to yourself, how would you have done it any safer.

The reason I love my job is because there is an element of danger and it's the challenge of overcoming that danger and getting home in one piece every day.

I also love the challenge of getting unsafe trees down without damage to property or persons, that's why we are supposed to be proffesionals.

"Yeh mister, I can get the tree down quick mate but I'll have to trash your garage, do it cheap for you though."

Id rather go in and tell them I can get their tree down but their roses might lose their flower heads in the process.

I think if we took the ultra safe option everytime, I'd give up and do an office job

lets face it, the tree is down in bad conditions, with minimal damage to a yew hedge, which will probably wire up ok. No structural property is damaged, no-one injured. Yes, in an ideal situation, it would be nice to avoid the hedge, but call-outs throw up less than ideal situations, you cant always use the mewp, or a crane. It may not be safe to climb and strip the tree. These decisions have to made on the spot, assess the risks, do the job, go home in one piece. Debate the points later.

lets face it, the tree is down in bad conditions, with minimal damage to a yew hedge, which will probably wire up ok. No structural property is damaged, no-one injured. Yes, in an ideal situation, it would be nice to avoid the hedge, but call-outs throw up less than ideal situations, you cant always use the mewp, or a crane. It may not be safe to climb and strip the tree. These decisions have to made on the spot, assess the risks, do the job, go home in one piece. Debate the points later.

nail on the head andy like ya style but do value your opinion dean and all aspects covered,that i like gentleman.keep on keepin on

I suspect that the clients were more worried about the tree failing, and accepted that the hedge may get damaged. To make a tree safe, ie get it down, to avoid expensive property damage, or a human injury, has to be top priority. Yes there are always alternatives, whether it climb and strip out, using a mewp, or straight fell, but this call has to be made by those on site, at the time of the call out. Call out work is probably the most dangerous we do, and nine times out of ten the safer option is to just drop the tree, then work on it in comparative safety. Its easy to tear someone apart after the event, sitting in the comfort of our homes, on a still summers evening. Just think of those hairy call outs we've all had, and think to yourself, how would you have done it any safer.

Am I reading a different thread:confused1:

It states the tree is causing damage to the house foundations, not that the root plate is lifting.

It is climbed to put a pull line in.

Not a job I would want any association with:thumbdown:

Oooooo my bad, I read thru the thread and had read that the root plate was lifting, tho not written by Tahune. My comments were generalisations based on calls that have had to be made on call-outs that I've been on, not necessarily directly related to this case.

Tahune, you state that when a fell is on, its on. Well, I would always be willing to change the approach to the job, whether its because of a change in weather, spotting something that maybe was missed at an earlier inspection, whatever. We sometimes need to have a degree of flexibilty in this job, nothing is written in stone.

thats quite an interesting debate tana. did a eucy, last year that was lifting on the root plate, in strong winds. thankfully all went well and it landed perfectly in the car park, not the oap dwellings right next to it. wouldn,t have made such a humourous vid.

fairplay fer sharing it

We all have to judge what to do when put in a given situation - then we have to live with it.

Looked at a job on Monday: A Pine supposedly lifting the floor of a stable to come down asap. When I looked at it there is no imminent danger so priced to section down. Someone else could have priced to fell it at 1/3 cost, if that had been the case it would have been the customers choice and fair enough. I would still have been happy to have quoted and walked, standing by original judgement.

Point being - make choices you can stand by without regret

.felled a tree like that then mesterh or just like lookin for them on you tube,not an arborist to take the piss mate.

Yep felled plenty of trees like that m8 and also taken alot bigger,dangerous and more awkward trees down the proper way :001_smile:

If the client just wanted it dropping in one and didnt care about fooking his hedge then fair enough its his call. The way you posted it though it looked like someone cba sectioning it and took a chance and really fooked it up.

I've been up many a storm damaged tree in very bad conditions so i think i can speak with a little experience.