020 improvements?

Mike Hill

I recently aquired a old 020 that I am going to "improve".Mostly just for the fun of it but also to see if what I do to it goes some way to increase the usability of an already great saw for large sectional fells.

Planned modifications are:

Port exhaust in cylinder

Free flow the exhaust

Extend the fuel tank

Coat the handles with adhesive rubber compound.

Extra set of Dogs on the clutch cover

"chip chute" on the clutch cover.

Long Bar.

Anyone else got anysuggestions?

I have stripped the saw down and have the metal parts soaking in raw fuel.Ported the Cylinder this eveing and will do the exhaust when all the muck has floated off it.

Twin choke Weber?:001_tongue:

Four Barrel Holly double pumper with a air ram?

I think extending the fuel tank might be a bit of a challange.I cut the top off it tonight and will have to heat bend some plastic to act as the extension before cementing the two bits back together.More of an experiment than a practical advantage.But if it means less more running time then might be worth the bother?Well see.

I'll have a look at the rubber boot idea "Arbogrunt".I have to take the handle to bits before I coat it so why not.

i modified mne today by ripping the handle off tearing the carb inlet off and pulling the fuel and breather lines out with probaly 2 ton of oak that had split in half and had hung up that decided to pinch up then go taking the saw with it....wasnt a good mod so i dont recomend that one....

If your gonna mod the fuel tank try and make it more ergonimic so it catches less when yankin it through the tree.It's what annoys me most about the 020 i think.

Perhaps try pushing the saw ahead of you or cliping it to your belt.It would mean fewer broken chainbreaks and the lanyard attachment ring on an 020 can let go after a bit of mild abuse.

I'm just extending the fuel tank out of the filler side.Not getting into constructing a entire new tank,but thanks for the input.:001_smile: