Buying woodland

I've thought about a joint purchase too - it does seem like an obvious solution and I'd be happy to talk.

richy_B what were the problems with dividing it up? I can't see any reason why it should be either difficult or expensive. I have a friendly conveyancing solicitor who I can have a chat with.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said in previous post I would be interested in woodland around wilts/hants area, my line of business is coppice and logs and although its never going to be a get rich scheme it does provide a way of managing the land and making a reasonable living off it. My main aims are to have somewhere that could be made grade 1 coppice in time that I could bring the family into as well as work. There are many potential streams of income through woodlands and land in general depending on drainage etc but I find the large costs of initial outlay mean that if loans are taken out your already fighting a losing battle, so to me subdividing means not spending beyond your means.

I was wondering whether leasing might be an option to explore. Not a FC style 999 year lease, but maybe 50 or 60 years?

At the right price I would happily take a lease. I don't have any great urge to own the land, but I would like somwehere that I know I can manage and bring on over a few decades.

I can see that it wouldn't work for everyone (you would be unlikely to be able to borrow against it for instance), but it might open up new areas. For instance there may be estates that don't want to sell off any land but would be happy to take a lump sum for a lease on some unproductive acres.

Any thoughts?

Hi John

I am also looking to buy woodland (North Wales).

I have similar aims to you - a bit of firewood for myself and extended family and maybe some coppice and charcoal.

I am aiming for 20 - 50 acres and hoping for broadleaf but may go for conifer if there is some broadleaf mixed in.

I would hope to be able to make a small amount of profit from my wood - maybe £5k - £7k a year based on 2 - 3 days a week work.

Does anyone who does something similar know how realistic a return this is?

Hi John

I am also looking to buy woodland (North Wales).

I have similar aims to you - a bit of firewood for myself and extended family and maybe some coppice and charcoal.

I am aiming for 20 - 50 acres and hoping for broadleaf but may go for conifer if there is some broadleaf mixed in.

I would hope to be able to make a small amount of profit from my wood - maybe £5k - £7k a year based on 2 - 3 days a week work.

Does anyone who does something similar know how realistic a return this is?

Have you looked here?

We bought a 21 acre woodland from these guys, leashold wirth over 900 years left on it and no further payments to make.

Hi - Thanks for the link.

That wood is very local and is a stunning beech wood on limestone.

My concerns are that it is expensive: 65K for 11 acres.

Does that sound a lot to people? My feeling is that for a bit more money (100K) I should expect a lot more wood.

It also has a restrictive covenant that I don't like.

The whole wood used to be owned by the Forestry Commission but was sold off to woodlands.co.uk and broken up into little chunks. It's all locked gates and keep out signs now. Maybe a taste of things to come if the FC break up goes ahead in England.