First Aid Kits on Harness

Dean Lofthouse

Let me throw another spanner in the works.

What if you have been carrying the field dressing about on your harness, rubbing on branches, laying back on it. The packaging has become damage and the dressing has become damp. Perfect habitat for all sorts of bugs.

You then whap out the dressing, whack it on your buddies wound and kill him with a lysteria infection. You may as well stuff an oily rag in the wound.

At least in a first aid box carried close to hand it's not getting pummled and abused day in day out.

...and don't go telling me you change them every few weeks :sneaky2:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm or he could get to hospital and end up with MRSA? The probabilities are endless, but I think the main thing is to somehow carry a dressing in such a place that it is accessible, sterile yet easily opened, and the training to go with it. Behind the back on a harness is barely going to be accessible, and as said probably less than sterile, on the side of the leg, it will get bust open in next to no time. Next time your up a tree, just try and get a dressing out from that rear mounted pouch, imagining that one arm is disabled, and see if it can be done easily, if it cant then move it!!

. ...and if we were all honest, we could know a lot more about large wound treatment than we do now. It should really be part of chainsaw training.

I've been saying this for years I even posted it the discussion about changes to the CS units a while ago

I can agree with that Dean,

We used to carry first aid pouches on the harnesses but they kept catching on stuff in the trees and emptying the contents out.

Its pointless fastening them up so well that they don't, as in an emergency you'd struggle to get them open.

We tipped one out that had lasted the course reasonably well and everything had gone mouldy.

So we stopped and went back to the old way of large wound dressings carried in trouser pocket.

BTW, don't carry them in your helmet as some do, if you get hit on the head with something heavy the helmet shell can't give and your turnip takes the full blow.

Guess that marks me out as a total amatuer then...

we are all amateurs in our own ways if we pick and choose between the rules and regulations that we follow.

I carry a first aid kit c/c wound dressing but no whistle , foam and as for paper risk assessments....

I can agree with that Dean' date='

We used to carry first aid pouches on the harnesses but they kept catching on stuff in the trees and emptying the contents out.

Its pointless fastening them up so well that they don't, as in an emergency you'd struggle to get them open.

We tipped one out that had lasted the course reasonably well and everything had gone mouldy.[/quote']

I've used one of these for years. Never came off my dragonfly. Contents stay dry and clean. Need to get to it? Pull as if in utter terror and off it pops.

fak.jpg.4e3adc0edbd71b376bf1828bc1d8455d.jpg

Let me throw another spanner in the works.

What if you have been carrying the field dressing about on your harness, rubbing on branches, laying back on it. The packaging has become damage and the dressing has become damp. Perfect habitat for all sorts of bugs.

You then whap out the dressing, whack it on your buddies wound and kill him with a lysteria infection. You may as well stuff an oily rag in the wound.

At least in a first aid box carried close to hand it's not getting pummled and abused day in day out.

...and don't go telling me you change them every few weeks :sneaky2:

Ive carried one for a few years dean............wouldnt like to think whats growing on it now:scared1:

...and if we were all honest, we could know a lot more about large wound treatment than we do now. It should really be part of chainsaw training.

When I did my first chainsaw course back in the days, with the Swedish Forestry Commission, a prerequisite was to have recently passed a one-day first aid at work course. Not a bad idea perhaps? Or, to get your tickets, as part of the assessment, you need to have attended a faaw course? I attended one at Capel Manor last year, it was £25, and well worth the cost!

Always refilling my my ppe first aid kit with smaller plasters due to my silky lol!

But one thing I have in it is a TAMPON,

Also a string on my whistle fixed to pouch incase i have to retreive it if in a fix

I hope none of have to use it.

A good thing is always check whats in it so you dont have to scrabble about.

In my truck I have my Emergency procedure sitting on the front seat with the big fa kit,

grid ref,local hosp,access point,

grid ref etc

So hopefully my groundy wont run around like a headless chicken and hopefully precious time will be saved.

hope im not teaching you all to suck eggs