ex forces desperately seeks work of any description

mick flanagan

yes, im afraid its me again still looking for work in south yorkshire area!

sticking up another post just in case... you never know!

So.........

I will no longer be getting paid from the Army after this month so if someone out there is considering taking someone else on then I would be happy to work some days until the end of january for nothing, on a trial basis!!

I have CS30/31 LANTRA stumpgrinders & woodchippers. I have had practice and instruction for CS38/39 but have yet to take my assesment.

I am a very hard working individual, being ex-military im still fit, will do as im told, impervious to most weather conditions and will not moan and groan!

I have also had plenty of first aid practice in the Army (unfortunately the qualifications are now out of date, however im still confident in my first aid skills).

thanks for reading!

Mick

yes, im afraid its me again still looking for work in south yorkshire area!

sticking up another post just in case... you never know!

So.........

I will no longer be getting paid from the Army after this month so if someone out there is considering taking someone else on then I would be happy to work some days until the end of january for nothing, on a trial basis!!

I have CS30/31 LANTRA stumpgrinders & woodchippers. I have had practice and instruction for CS38/39 but have yet to take my assesment.

I am a very hard working individual, being ex-military im still fit, will do as im told, impervious to most weather conditions and will not moan and groan!

I have also had plenty of first aid practice in the Army (unfortunately the qualifications are now out of date, however im still confident in my first aid skills).

Mick

Have you looked through Arbjobs yet? Arbjobs.com | find Arb jobs / Tree work might be something there for you?

thanks for reading!

If I was you mate I would google 'Tree surgeons' in the area you live on google MAP. Then I would write to each one of them explaining everything they need to know about you and why you would be an asset to the business.

Then a week later I would call up each one (having made a note of where I had sent letters to) asking if they had recieved the letter. I would then put the point accross of doing one, two maybe three days work free for them so they can see how hard you work and why you would be good for the business.

Its easier to prove yourself on site than on the phone, You may have already done this or think its a rubbish idea but it worked for me!!

All the best

Hi Mick,

Have you thought of maybe going self employed? as that way people may give you days here and there. With work being tight at the moment people are more reluctant to employ more people. I hope you get some work mate I'm sure you will be a good grafter and just get on with things, I've had the pleasure of working with an ex forces bloke and he was always happy and I felt very comfortable knowing how well he knew first aid. Plus he had some great stories to share at bate time. Good luck

Lawrence

cheers climber, ive sent letters to about 15 tree surgeons near me and two got in touch to say mabye, and one other said he didn't have anything. remainder didnt get back to me!

im looking on here as another way of getting myself out there, advertising myself i suppose.

lorry, i wouldn't feel comfortable going self employed just yet, having only just left the forces and never having to sort my own accounts, tax, invoices and such like is a bit daunting! mabye sometime in the future or i might just have to jump in at the deep end if i dont get any work for ages!

thanks for the advice fellas, its always very much appreciated!

Mick

Take the advise and go self employed mate, it costs you nothing and the tax return is easy, just get someone who is good with numbers to sit down one night with you and sort it out. This time of year there isn't allot of work around so when people say "il get back to you when it picks up" there not just fobbing you off, but if you where self employed ure not making them make any commitments so they will be comfortable in giving you the odd day hear and there.

I left the army 3 years ago and this is how i did things and it worked. In my opinion being ex army makes up for the lack of experience. I know its daunting after having clarks do all you're paperwork for you but its really not that bad.

If you where in south west i would help you out.

Good advice Mick.

Lots of small companies like mine would never take on someone full time, but use self-employed climbers and groundies as and when.

I get a lot of enquiries from ex-forces lads. Do the army encourage blokes coming out to go in to tree surgery? If they do, it's about time someone pointed out to them what the job situation is like in the industry in general.

Bare in mind that January and February are usually the quietest months in the arb calendar, and things generally pick up in the spring. People are simply not ,out enjoying their gardens' at this time of year.

Good luck with it, whatever.